1982 88spl wont stay primed

TRACKMAGNA17

Cadet
My motor runs great once its been running for a few minutes,but a lot of times if I sit and fish for an hour or two I have to reach back and squeeze the primer ball a few times and then choke it to get it started. Once warmed up and running I dont have any problems. I ran a mixture of seafoam and oil through it and it seemed to help a bit. It idles fine once warmed up and I dont have any other issues. I did replace the hose and primer bulb as well, but it didnt help. Any help would be appreciated

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 88spl wont stay primed

make sure you do not have a fuel line leak between the connector and the carbs. also if you are using aftermarket, line between tank and motor, they have horrible check valves in them, and allow leak backs.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Just ran into this last weekend, pop your cowl off and pump the bulb while you watch in the engine for any fuel leaks, it doesn't take much.

Mine had a pin hole in the gas line that only leaked when the motor was running or you were had pressure on the bulb, didn't find it till I went to launch the boat.

Got it fixxed but the the 2 small hoses going to the carbs were really spongy so I am gonna change all the hose inside of the plug to the carbs before I go out again, raw gas in the engine compartment can be really bad.

TRACKMAGNA17

Cadet

Thanks for the information, I will check those things. Also when you say aftermarket hoses are bad, would it be better to get one from my dealer then?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I believe he means the check valves in an after market bulb aren't very good.

Changed all my hose last night ran me a grand total of $4