Can I do this???? engine mount replacement

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so here is the story....

I need to replace the wood in the engine mount for my 3.7L.[crossways in front of engine]. Now I know I have to lift the engine to remove the front mount, but here is my issue....

The glass covering is in realy good shape. And frankly the wood is not that bad at all. Just getting a little wet, and mount screws still hold. Now, the rear part of the glass is VERY hard to get to without pulling the engine all the way. [oil pan is in the way] The front part will have pleanty of clearance once I remove the tank. Can I cut the front part of the glass skin, remove the rotted wood, and replace, and keep the front half of the glass "channel" intact??? Is that dooable????

92excel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I do this???? engine mount replacement

All of the engine weight would be on the glass while you are removing the old wood and replacing.. you might want to sure up the engine.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I would have to say, even though pulling the engine sounds REALLY difficult and scary, it really isn't that tough. You remove the outdrive (6 bolts if a merc), disconnect the wiring harness, fuel line and starter wire, remove the bolts connecting the mounts to the engine and lift it using any number of methods. I made my life using a 1 ton chain fall and a homemade gantry. You can buy a 1/2 ton chain fall at Harbor Freight and use a semi-big tree branch. I estimate my 3.0L weighs about 300lbs, which isn't much to lift. Your 3.7 won't tip the scales much more.

I say all of this, because what you are considering would require a full "ruff and scuff" of the existing fiberglass, and with the engine in there, you won't be able to. It is just too 1/2 measure to be a permanent fix, especially when you consider a torquing 300+lb engine sits on it. Replace the entire section, reglass it to the hull and never worry about it again.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hmm... I was hoping to not have to build a crane. :( I have a hoist, but not high enough for this.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do you know someone with a warehouse, garage, anything with exposed rafters? chainfall and span a few rafters with a heavy timber is all it should take. I had a friend with a warehouse and we lifted my chevy inline 6 with a fork truck and he's letting me keep it there on a pallet til i get my work done. It's not really a lot of weight when compared to lifting other heavy stuff.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

hmm... I was hoping to not have to build a crane. :( I have a hoist, but not high enough for this.

how much height do you need? whats the height limit on your hoist? i just pulled my engine with a harbor frieght 1 ton while my boat was still in the garage. and the ceiling is only 7.5 feet.. the hoist was like 150

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My boat is pretty tall. Has a lot of freeboard, and is a pretty tall trailer.

I DO have a steel beem in the garage. Not sure of the support structor though. I had a real cheezy builder!!! I might get two collums they use for cellers, and prop up on bolth sides to make sure.