Project Teal. A small and [hopefully]quick rebuild

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, quick back story...

I built this little boat about 15 years ago as a tender to row out to my bigger boat on a moring. Well many years, and lack of maintance,[and just using unsealed AC ply, and common wood] has led to some rot. Well I had thought I as going to just cut it up, and re build, but after looking at it, its realy not that bad. Most of the wood is still in great shape, and pretty much all there, so I hauled it home last year. Well after just sitting in the yard, my youngest [3year old next month] decided it was time I got "Her" boat fixed. :D So off to the house it goes...

So here we are....

this is how it looks now....

teal2.jpg
[/IMG]

teal.jpg
[/IMG]

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Project Teal. A small and [hopefully]quick rebuild

You will see that bolth the bow and stern posts are rotted at the top. Also the gunnel, and the top part of the ply in that aera are rotted. I am planing on scarfing in new wood in those aeras with epoxy. Also I am going to replace the floor. Its not rotted, but it has a lot of delamed plys, and some grain crazing. It has always taken in a little water from the side seam, so after replacement, I will tape, and epoxy the seam.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First step was to build some sturdy sawhorses to hold the boat. My oldest helpped on this part. [7 in july] She mesured the wood, and I showed her how to transfer the mesurements from one board to another using a squaire. She also helped screw the main beam of the horses together.

DSC01644.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01646.jpg
[/IMG]

After that, they lost intrest, and I was on my own. Sadly I ran out of screws, and this is all I got done....

DSC01647.jpg
[/IMG]

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do I sense a rebuild with daisies? Pink paint? Dora the explorer? :D:D:D

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL!!! Ahhh.. no. Daddy still has to use it, so I have last say. :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Neat project!!!

Its great you get the kids involved, even if for only a few minutes at a time. They will remember this, and learn some good skills from daddy.

I just want to comment that after the damaged wood is replaced, consider covering the whole outside in one or two layers of 6 or 8 oz fiberglass cloth and plain old polyester resin. Same as is done on canoes and the like. It should last forever on that boat and will seal out the water preventing future rot.

Just something to think about.

Mark.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking of that Mark, but there is a lot of hard edges, and corners on the boat. By the time I round everythigng over, I could build a whle other boat. :D :D

I may cover the whole bottom though. Havent decided.

Now a Q for you experts...

I was thinking of using epoxy becouse I belive it would be better for glueing the scarf joints. Would you sudjest a filler for the expoxy? If so, what would be best for glueing??

Also for the bit of gluing, and taping the seams on the botom, [nothing fancy, just one layer of tape, and expoxy] how much expoxy do you think I would need?? You think 1/2 gal would be enough, or do I need to spring for a gal??? Granted I am doing my big boat also, but I am planing on using poly for that. Are there uses for expoxy in a project you are glassing with poly??

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, another Q.....

What do you think of the idea of insted of patching the small bits of ply on the sides by scarfing in new ply, what if I just did a small layup of glass???? Its not a high load area, just a skin. Most of the load is carryed by the gunnels, and I am planning on doing a long scarf on them.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finished my stands. I put small cleats on then to clear the keel of the boat.

DSC01652.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the boat on the stands....

DSC01654.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01653.jpg
[/IMG]

Now I have to order the epoxy.