Do trailer dollies really work?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I have to move a 1000 lb.rig around my driveway to get it into the garage. I've seen those trailer dollies that uses a ball to lift up the trailer tongue and supposidly allow you to push/pull the rig around easily via a long T-handle. Anyone have any experience moving a rig around with one of these? I've got a flat, paved driveway and would have to move the rig back and forth about 30 feet.
Nightstalker

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do trailer dollies really work?

Those dollies do exactly what that fold down tongue wheel does, just way more expensively and taking up more storage space when not in use. I could maybe see it if you had many trailers that didn't have those fold down, height adjustable wheels. Otherwise, you won't be effortlessly zipping your boat trailer around the neighborhood just because it has big wheels and a T handle, as much as the advertising tries to tell you it does.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Those dollies do exactly what that fold down tongue wheel does, just way more expensively and taking up more storage space when not in use. I could maybe see it if you had many trailers that didn't have those fold down, height adjustable wheels. Otherwise, you won't be effortlessly zipping your boat trailer around the neighborhood just because it has big wheels and a T handle, as much as the advertising tries to tell you it does.

By fold down tongue, are you referring to a trailer jack that swings up and down with a small plastic wheel on the bottom? I've got one on my trailer and the small plastic wheel doesn't move it around very well. It's a bear to get her moving.
Nightstalker

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those dollies work fine on a perfectly flat, level, smooth surface or if you are an olympic weight lifter.

Put a ball on your riding mower.

I actually use my 2 ton automotive jack to move mine around. I find that it works better then the wheel does. I have a long handle to push and pull the boat around. I currently have to angle my boat into my garage and the jack makes it easy to do. I've looked at those dollies and they just seem over priced.

WizeOne

Commander

I've been using one for years. It is indespensable. It is true, as JB says, you need a hard, near flat surface for them to be of value.

When I return the boat to the side yard (all concrete) I have a slight upgrade till I get past the gate line. Sometimes I have to round up a body to help push it up to that line but the control is superb. You can put it exactly where you want it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here is the easiest thing i came up with.

fronthitch001-1.jpg

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using one for years. It is indespensable. It is true, as JB says, you need a hard, near flat surface for them to be of value.

When I return the boat to the side yard (all concrete) I have a slight upgrade till I get past the gate line. Sometimes I have to round up a body to help push it up to that line but the control is superb. You can put it exactly where you want it.

How big is your rig? I'd be pushing around a 17' Sea Pro DC with a 50 HP on the back, or a Carolina Skiff J-16, or a Sundance K-16. Not really that big or heavy.
Nightstalker

C-worthy

Cadet

I did that one time. It still hurts just thinking about it

Freddy,

Did something go wrong? I use my riding mower to move my boat/trailer over the grass from storage to driveway and back again - about 100' each way. It works great. I can't imagine an easier way to move it.

WizeOne

Commander

How big is your rig? I'd be pushing around a 17' Sea Pro DC with a 50 HP on the back, or a Carolina Skiff J-16, or a Sundance K-16. Not really that big or heavy.
Nightstalker

nightstalker, it is a 20' closed bow runabout with a V-8. With your boat, I wouldn't even need the extra body to get it up my slight upgrade to the sideyard gate.

And if your don't have concrete, the lawn rider is a good idea for your weight and size of boat. I put a hitch on my lawnrider to move a 4 x 7 utility trailer, full of bark dust, around the yard. My boat is way too heavy for the lawn rider though.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have used one for moving my 19 foot bowrider. it worked will until i made a turn, then the wheel fell off the side..

of course thats because the one i used had a 600lb rating.

overall it worked well for the 5 mins it lasted

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Freddy,

Did something go wrong? I use my riding mower to move my boat/trailer over the grass from storage to driveway and back again - about 100' each way. It works great. I can't imagine an easier way to move it.

I did the riding mower thing back in New England, but now I live in a condo. No need for a riding mower and I ain't buying one just to move my boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightstalker

zboot69

Cadet

they do make a trailer dolly that has 2 decent 10 in tires or so with a long handle to pull and a ball centered above the tires that works pretty good. i work in the rental industry and they work just fine pulling our log spliters, arerial lifts and smaller trailers around. the heavier the trailer and more of a incline you have, the more you might want to look into a ball on tractor or something powered

ebry710

Ensign

I have to move a 1000 lb.rig around my driveway to get it into the garage. I've seen those trailer dollies that uses a ball to lift up the trailer tongue and supposidly allow you to push/pull the rig around easily via a long T-handle. Anyone have any experience moving a rig around with one of these? I've got a flat, paved driveway and would have to move the rig back and forth about 30 feet.
Nightstalker

I have a Harbor Freight trailer dolly and it works great.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Harbor Freight trailer dolly and it works great.

I picked up the Harbor Freight one and it works great for it's intended purpose. I use it to jockey my 16' Lund around from the front yard to the backyard. The tires are big enough that they won't get stuck in the grass. As long as the tires on the trailer are at the proper pressure, it moves great. All in all, it was worth the $60.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use one all the time and they work as advertised, you do need the one with the 10" air inflated tires though. I have seen them with two hard plastic tires/wheels on each side, not what you want. Watch harbor freight they have a pretty good one that is not bad priced. I move my dunebuggy trailer around with it all the time, the trailer itsself is way heavy but add a buggy or a couple of 450 lb snowmobiles and its well over 1000 lbs. If your drive is flat and concrete you should be fine. My side yard is grass and goes up hill a bit, I cant put it in alone but I have my wife steer while I push and it goes smooth as can be. I also loan it to my neighbor to put his tent trailer in his back yard and it works fine. That wheel on the swing away jack is not the ticket, good way to snap the jack off look at the way the jack is attached to the mount its just a big snap ring.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use a front mounted hitch for jockeying my rig into the 'boat port'.
IMG_4394.jpg

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

An interesting thread to read this morning, considering I spent half the morning yesterday pushing my 18.5ft I/O around the driveway. I pushed it out of the garage, halfway down the driveway, some manipulation to get her in the ?right parking spot?; all on the tongue wheel thingy. Result= legs sore and arms all rubbery feeling today. Unless those dollies magically reduce the weight by about 1000lbs, I don?t see them making much of a difference? lol.:D

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have one with the 10 in inflated tires on it and it works great to move my 16 ft lund rebel, my tent trailer and utility trailer around on my yard. with out it the trailer jack wheel always just dug into the grass. on cement i don't see much advantage. i keep going back to my thought that there should be a combination spare tire carrier/tongue jack so you are rolling around on a decent size tire and wheel instead of those 6 in plastic wheels.