Can I buy these?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I buy these?

For the most part, items like those aren't availible, just make some brackets, it should be easy.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Thats what I figured. I was thinking about cutting some flatstock alumn. and bending those in place. Any other thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes what is it? that would help us help you.

erikgreen

Captain

If it were me, I'd either make something, or if I was looking for fast and cheap, I'd just look in the local hardware stores for aluminum shelf brackets.... you could even get some powder coated if you want.

Almost anything you bought would be stronger than those were, looks like.

They're not strongly structural either... you could replace them with anything that would do the same job, like wood diagonal braces or similar.

Erik

tashasdaddy

i agree 3/4 plywood, cut to fit, would be better than that. red is ply. blue screws or bolts.
clik on pic to enlarge.

Attachments

• img_1770_1.jpg
    img_1770_1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm, there's a thought. So if I do the plywood route...any thoughts on how that could be turned into a dual purpose item. Incorporating a rold holder to keep my rods safe during travel.

tashasdaddy

give me the measurement from the seat to the top. and from the side out on the seat. i'll come up with something.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds great Tash. I will measure it up when I get home from work. I have an idea in my head how it could work, but I think that there is probably a better way.

Thanks again!

cbavier

Lieutenant

If you went plywood you could just drill a couple stragically placed holes in each wedge using a hole saw to put the butt of the rod in. If you make middle ones you could slide tip end of the rod in first and then the Butt end in the back walla two rods per side. Plywood will separate when gotten wet so an Oak Wedge like TD drew up might work better for you.

tashasdaddy

3 coats of oil base rustoleum will that care of the plywood spliting. the oak will not take the sun, it just splits. i have tried it.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Tash...I noticed how many post you have. It actually hurts my brain to think of how long that would take. I did the math in my head quick, if I did it right if you made one post per min it would take you 26 straight days no sleep to get there....like I said, that was in my head but I think its right.:eek:

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Ok Tash, here are the measurements. Sorry I did it really fast so its sort of rough. The seat is 14" wide, from the seat top to where its fastened on the hull its 8 1/2" and the bottom is fastened to the see 5" away from the hull. I have a bit of room so I could see that 5" measurement getting a little bigger. See this drawing for the measurements.

tashasdaddy

this would give you 3 2 turned one way the other the opposite. using the 1x2, would give better attachment space, with nut and bolts. also adjusting the angle to match the boat.

bracerodholder001.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would go to a company that sells and deals with metal...... buy a few pieces of aluminum and make those straps myself.

Even if you purchase aluminum hollow square tubing 1" x 1" you can crush the ends flat in a vise (Or with a mallet) drill the holes and be done with it.

Do you have any highway construction going on in the area? Have you seen the folding sign bases that hold up the Men Working signs...... those are made with anodized aluminum legs. Stap and talk with a forman or worker and I bet a 6 pack will trade nicely for a damaged one..... the tubing is great stuff for fabricating.