Bad Economy - Less People on the lakes?

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bad Economy - Less People on the lakes?

Don S stole my thunder on the fuel prices but most people I know are not planning on cutting back. I haven?t been on the lake yet so it might be too early to tell around here if there is an impact.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

The only nice weekend we had around he was 2 weeks ago, it was about 70 on land, 60 on the bay / Ice cube. I saw about 20 boats out on the river / bay, fishing mostly.

The parking lot was nearly 75% full. Not bad for MD in early march.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ahhh yes.....getting up on saturday morning to drive your boat to the launch and actually find a parking spot......to see friendly boaters on the water that know what they were doing at the boat launch,,,.....to see no jet fleas with in 200 yards of you......to be able to go "a natural" with your girl and not worry about someone making a bee-line for your boat when the rest of the lake is empty......

IF people cannot afford to boat this year, it will only be the real boaters out on the water. that would mean every one would know the rules of the water and actually be polite on the water........

OOPS....wakes up out of a deep sleep...........and realizes the above is all just a dream !

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sorta odd because it seems to me that in the boating section of this forum there are many topics of newbies buying boats. More than I have seen in the past years. While it is a loss for some, it makes it possible for some to now afford a boat because of the cut in prices.

Last year on my lake, about all the slips were taken by seasonal boaters. Across from the marina/docks is the public ramp. Just about every weekend the lot was full of tows with their trailers. Special events were still packed as ever.

It will depend upon geographic locations in where the unemployment is. However, the unemployed that owned their paid off boats will continue to boat as it is still one cheap way of feeding ones family.

This season, I predict that there will be an impact of newbies on the water with fewer long time boaters. With the cost of fuel being down this year, it may just level out.

mthieme

Captain

So REAL boaters are the ones with money?
Bad dream.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

no, real boaters HAD money, now it is all in their boat.

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the side of the Chesapeake I generally haunt, there is a large percentage of the "fleet" that are working boats...Crabbers, tonguers, etc. Those guys are definitely feeling it. Not only the economy, but the harvest populations are getting them.

My weekend retreat is literally a stone's throw from LAB Marine, a repo outfit that has major banks as clients. They bought the marina on the creek I run out of, and the docks are currently 100% full. So is their yard area, so is their parking lot...So is a 1/4 acre patch of grass next to that. Nice boats in there, some real eye candy. They also rent space at another marina 1 creek east.

Maryland's economy is hurting like everyone elses but it's nowhere near as bad as the heartland. Alot of govt, military, medical, biotech etc. I don't expect a huge drop off this year, unless it suddenly gets worse. The shoremen though, have it rough and I hope the gas stays cheaper and the harvests are better for them this year, or they will have a hard time surviving.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think as many people will buy crabs either, they are too much of a luxury item.

ebry710

Ensign

More newbie are might entering iboats for a few reasons:
1) a lot of cheap boats on the market right now
2) a lot of people are cruising the internet because it is cheap
3) iboats reputation is expanding, like it should

DayCruiser

Ensign

I don't think having big money makes you a "real boater" either. Kinda snobby attitude imo
Less boaters hurts the economy even more. Less people buying supplies, fuel, boats, repairs, parts etc. Hurts business that depend on the marine world.
I know many who had lost a fortune in the Stock market. Some entire retirements are gone and they had to go back to work. Then there are many who have lost their jobs or are afraid of losing their jobs. Restaurants are offering sweet deals just to get people to go out to eat ....
Oil companies are cutting back in refining to drive the prices back up. So look for $4 + per gallon this summer again. This will cut back on boating too.
Then add the droughts in place across the Southern Half of the USA....Low lake levels don't help

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I know last summer gas prices were 4.00 a gal and when you got to the marina they were 5.50 a gal. The lake was full of boats. The river we boat on also had many boats. I will say that on the river most people we saw were beached or anchored up somewhere. I don't think the slow economy will have any impact on the number of boaters on the water in my area.

TC

ebry710

Ensign

I don't think having big money makes you a "real boater" either. Kinda snobby attitude imo
Less boaters hurts the economy even more.
Less people buying supplies, fuel, boats, repairs, parts etc. Hurts business that depend on the marine world.
I know many who had lost a fortune in the Stock market. Some entire retirements are gone and they had to go back to work. Then there are many who have lost their jobs or are afraid of losing their jobs. Restaurants are offering sweet deals just to get people to go out to eat ....
Oil companies are cutting back in refining to drive the prices back up. So look for $4 + per gallon this summer again. This will cut back on boating too.
Then add the droughts in place across the Southern Half of the USA....Low lake levels don't help

I agree with you. I think a lot of people would to have had a boat before, but the price of a new boat was beyond a lot of people. Now prices have come down enough where a lot of new people can get into boating. There are great deals out there.

In some areas on the country, boating is a pleasure activity and doesn't drive the economy. Less boaters will not hurt the economy....it just is a sad situation.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

So REAL boaters are the ones with money?
Bad dream.

by real boaters.....i ment the ones that are seasoned boaters......that either love it so much or are addicted to it that they will make the nessary adjustments to there budget to keep doing what they love.

these are usaually the same boaters that boat with care and concern for all who use the water ways....not just themselves.

More newbie are might entering iboats for a few reasons:

3) iboats reputation is expanding, like it should

i havent been back long enough to monitor the mech sections.....but the resto forum is moving at a page and a half/2 pages a day........it sure was a lot slower last year.

its my opinion that iboats forum will soon hit a point that it will double or triple in "membership" very soon.

this is based on the assumption that the more the internet gets bombarded with trash....(trash talking and bashing)......people who want a "safe haven" that enjoy a good round table discussion without being attacked by people that bond-o had to put up with....will flock to clean decent places....like our forum.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Lot's of boats with for sale signs on them around here now that the snow has melted. I don't think they are all upgrading either.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

This is kind of a scary time for us not old enough to really remember any other recession (Im 30). I was to little to care about the one in the 1980's.
When I was considering a second boat I first wanted a new one. Went to a boat dealer got approved went home to get my old boat to trade in and got cold feet when I was loading the boat. I decided to just find a good one I could just pay cash for and not worry about a monthly payment. I can see why new boat sales are suffering.
When I was buying a house I was approved for a very large amount of money at an adjustable rate. They told me in two years if I pay on time it would most likely equal to a lower rate. I ended up buying something way cheaper at a locked interest rate and have never regretted it.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

...people who want a "safe haven" that enjoy a good round table discussion without being attacked by people that bond-o had to put up with....will flock to clean decent places....like our forum.

what do you mean that Bond-o had to put up with?

Did he start I boats or something?

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you mean that Bond-o had to put up with?

Did he start I boats or something?

Some a** clown asked for help then didn't like his answer so he fired off a bunch of garbage. I'm sure if his mom knew what he was doing on the internet she would send him to his room with no supper.

The only thing I know for certain about this site in my limited lurking and posting experience is that it is extremely helpful, and I hope the "old timers" don't get too fed up with us newbies and our often repetitive questions.

Back on topic, I have noticed here that our local Craigslist is getting alot more boat listings, and a greater influx of dealers advertising on it, which are promptly flagged by the Craigspolice. I'm sure it's normal for an increase this time of year but the dealers must really be looking for greater exposure, which makes me wonder how that will affect the secondary market around here.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

I am still seeing more boats with signs around me and the lake I go to. Maybe I see them more, just for the fact I am looking more than I did last year though also. BTW off topic, you guys are sticking up for Bond-o and thats great, but he made a smart-***** remark to the guy first. Most people here are great, problem seems if it isn't done the way you want...then people get pissy and make remarks like Bond-o did. The whole thing should have been handled with a little bit like "hey let me help you, can you give me a little more info" instead of the way it was handled. The guy was NEW and more than likely won't come back. I like the ol timers, but they need patients. Ok off my soap box...