Locking spare tire to trailer...? PIC included

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2004 Triton trailer. This is a pic of what the spare tire carrier looks like on these trailers...this is NOT my boat or trailer, but rather a picture I pulled off eBay of the same type of setup I have.

What is the best way to secure this wheel and lock it? There was no spare tire included with this boat purchase, I just picked up the spare tire yesterday. I thought about running a long bolt with a large nut and washer through it to secure it to the trailer...and then using a cable lock to lock it to a beam, but that seems cumbersome. There has to be a cleaner way to lock this style wheel to this style trailer. :confused:

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Locking spare tire to trailer...? PIC included

Some have just drilled a hole through the bolt that holds the tire down and a large washer and a padlock through the hole. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I will send a picture of mine.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would love a picture. I have no bolt...I literally have a trailer, and a tire :D

I can go get a bolt, or whatever is needed. I like the sound of that setup, a picture would be great.

There is that little steel tab that sticks up on the cross beam in front of the tire with a hole in it as well, I can only think that this is for the tire as well, but could not figure out how it could be utilized :confused:

Tyme2fish

Commander

I use a length of chain and pass it thru the spare tire wheel hub and over the trailer "bar".
Close the chain loop with a padlock. DONE

I'm sure a thief with bolt cutters would have no problem, but it does keep the honest people honest.:(

boat1010

I will try to get a picture taken tonight and get it to ya!!

Expidia

Commander

I use this setup:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...name=Wheels-Tires&aID=26D&merchID=1009&r=view

I mounted mine on the winch post.

It's cheap, moveable, mounts anywhere on the frame and the lock set that goes over a bolt is cheap too for $9.99. Iboats probably carries the same setup.

DSC04102.jpg

reelfishin

Captain

I carry my spare in the truck, although it can be locked to the trailer, it saves the spare tire from sitting out in the sun all day. It also won't be in the way when loading and unloading. If a thief can see it and wants it, it's going to be gone. On my one utility trailer, I simply welded two 1/2" x20tpi bolts to a plate on the frame, I then use a locking lug nut to secure the spare to the trailer.

boat1010

You can't see this very well but the bolt in the center has a hole through it and you just put a lock in the hole so they can't get the nut off. Like others have said. It is just to keep the honest ones honest. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0

a70eliminator

Captain

Yep. I have that set up too, I welded mine up myself custom, I mignt add it's much better to mount the tire verticle, mounting it hoizontal makes nice birdbath watertrap, although the water can drain out the lugnut and hub hole water will still lay around the rim/hub seam and cause rust.
I don't worry much about locking it, if someone has the nuts to come up and unbolt it they can have it, although a locking lug would be my choice.

BassSpotter

Cadet

If you have a welder, a piece of all-thread would work with a washer and nut

reelfishin

Captain

I saw a landscape trailer today where the guy had welded two nuts to the frame, and had two 1/2" eye bolts holding the wheel to the side of the frame, and a long padlock going through both eye bolts preventing either from turning unless the lock was removed. He had several different tires held on that way, for his various equipment.

Expidia

Commander

I saw a landscape trailer today where the guy had welded two nuts to the frame, and had two 1/2" eye bolts holding the wheel to the side of the frame, and a long padlock going through both eye bolts preventing either from turning unless the lock was removed. He had several different tires held on that way, for his various equipment.

That's a tough business to be in. I know a guy who had "all" his equipment stolen right out of his open trailer in his yard one night. Forget the spare tire being stolen, they stole all is mowers, blowers rakes etc. Put him right out of business.