Does anyone know how to remove this?

matfalk

Cadet
I'm trying to get ready to replace my steering system over from a rack and pinion to a rotary system, and I can't get the helm out of the dash. I've removed the racks and the steering wheel, but I can't get past this...
0316091921.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to remove that so I can get the new system in?

JP Fla

Cadet
Re: Does anyone know how to remove this?

That piece appears to be pressed on, use a gear puller. Good luck.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Ah! good idea! I need to do the same thing on my boat.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If all else fails use this.
sledge-hammer.jpg

matfalk

Cadet

That piece appears to be pressed on, use a gear puller. Good luck.

Funny thing is that I went out bought a gear puller tonight, and tried that. Didn't budge it at all. Bent the arms of the puller out of shape. Any other ideas?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Put the steering wheel back on,... Run the nut down just Flush with the shaft,...
Put your knees under the wheel,+ apply Alotta outward pressure,...
Then WACK it with the tool pictured above...

It'll Pop right Off....

You probably coulda gotten it with the Puller if you'd have Wacked it with a BFH, just before you Trashed it...

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo's got it.

That is the best way to pull a steering wheel.
Or get someone to WACK it while you are pullling on the wheel.
The shalf is tappered and the WACK pops it loose.

HeloMech

Seaman

on my 17' freedom, I couldn't get beyond that. It came down to the backside of the 'dash' was 4 studs in the backside that came through the plexiglass, fiberglass and wood. I pulled those out and everything slid out the front. Then I had to grind out the plexiglass, wood and fiberglass to make the other steering system fit.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

You probably already know this, but the shaft that the flange is mounted on has a gradual taper. (that's why it so darn hard to get off.) It appears that the flange that you're trying to get off is possibly cast aluminum. There may be a little corrosion between the two (or on the key) which is making things difficult. Perhaps a little heat on the flange might help some since the aluminum will expand more than the steel shaft that it is mounted on. If you do use a little heat be sure that you do not overdo it - and then get the puller on it ASAP. Once the puller is on pretty darn snug I'd then give it a good whack right down the center of the puller (and into the centerline of the shaft).

In the past I've gotten steeting wheels of tapered shafts by loosening the nut on the end of the shaft several turns so that it's flush with the end of the shaft. I have a nice big piece of brass bar stock (1.5" dia x 8" long) that I place up against the shaft & nut. Then I get a buddy to pull like an idiot on the steering wheel while I take good whack right down the centerline of the shaft. One or two good whacks is all it takes to loosen things up. Then unscrew the nut the rest of the way and take the wheel off.

When I put the steering wheel back on I usually put a thin coat of anti-sieze only on the taper to prevent corrosion. No, the steering wheel is NOT going to fall off - just keep the gunk off of the threads. The nut that fits on the end of the shaft is a friction nut so you want to keep the threads completely free of grease. Putting a little pucky on the taper and the key, however, will make life a little easier the next time that you have to do this. Good luck, work carefully, be patient.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

You probably already know this, but the shaft that the flange is mounted on has a gradual taper. (that's why it so darn hard to get off.) It appears that the flange that you're trying to get off is possibly cast aluminum. There may be a little corrosion between the two (or on the key) which is making things difficult. Perhaps a little heat on the flange might help some since the aluminum will expand more than the steel shaft that it is mounted on. If you do use a little heat be sure that you do not overdo it - and then get the puller on it ASAP. Once the puller is on pretty darn snug I'd then give it a good whack right down the center of the puller (and into the centerline of the shaft).

In the past I've gotten steeting wheels of tapered shafts by loosening the nut on the end of the shaft several turns so that it's flush with the end of the shaft. I have a nice big piece of brass bar stock (1.5" dia x 8" long) that I place up against the shaft & nut. Then I get a buddy to pull like an idiot on the steering wheel while I take good whack right down the centerline of the shaft. One or two good whacks is all it takes to loosen things up. Then unscrew the nut the rest of the way and take the wheel off.

When I put the steering wheel back on I usually put a thin coat of anti-sieze only on the taper to prevent corrosion. No, the steering wheel is NOT going to fall off - just keep the gunk off of the threads. The nut that fits on the end of the shaft is a frinction nut so you want to keep the threads completely free of grease. Putting a little pucky on the taper and the key, however, will make life a little easier the next time that you have to do this. Good luck, work carefully, be patient.

This ^^

And let me add, note the two threaded holes on that flange. If you use a typical gear puller with arms that reach around the flange, it has a tendency to slip off or round the edges.

Use a wheel puller that you can pass threaded bolts through and thread them into the threaded holes of the wheel flange.

As for an automotive stand point, using a loose steering wheel as a 'slide hammer' or pulling with the wheel while hitting the post with a hammer is great as the steering column is strong. If your boat is anything like most, the rack is attached to the dash which is plastic/fiberglass. Too much prying could result in a busted panel, so be a bit careful with that.

Using a gear puller, adding a bit of heat to the flange and a few good smacks right on the back side of the gear puller shaft should do the trick. I have in the past with stubborn steering wheels applied a good bit of pressure with the gear puller and went to lunch. Sometimes leaving pressure on them for an extended period of time will work.

Hope this helps some.

chiefalen

Captain

Not for nothing that is one pos gear puller you got if the arm broke or twisted.

I have a sears one that, i bought when the sears hardware store went out of business near me. Got it for like 25 bucks was over 100.

I made extensions in three other sizes for the arms, and i have used it on things it was never intended for .

It's a reversible one with a little and large end, And i tell ya they are the best to have.

Flea markets i love to prowl and picked up all kinds of pullers for a few bucks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

never had a problem using the knee and hammer method.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

threaded flange? i think a slap hammer would be my choice. after that, a sawzall comes to mind. but, hey...i'm an idiot. slap hammer

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would get out the Dremel tool and just cut that aluminum piece off. Then it looks like you can unscrew the rest of the unit.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I assume you checked all around that aluminum piece for a set screw or other fastener.