Problem with trailer lights

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice
I rewired my trailer lights and am now having some troubles. At 1st nothing worked but my running lights. I re-wired my ground and now everything works except light right brake and turn. Checked the power coming from the truck and it's good and I put in new bulbs. Heres the kicker, when I turn on my truck lights the right tail light on the trailer comes on? Turn and brake still doesn't work but I know it's at least getting power. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem with trailer lights

If that bulb is good then you still have a bad ground somewhere. A lot of folk out here suggest individual grounding of everything. I tend to agree.

BURLCFII

Recruit

i agree check the rest of your grounds, also depending on what kind of vehicle you have, you may need a heavy duty flasher relay. i just installed a factory wiring harness on my 2004 Ford Escape. My trailer parking lights would work, however my turn signals nor my brake lights wouldn't work. I checked all my fuses, however nothing worked. i called trailer shops, and they all said it has to be a problem with my trailer. Well i knew this was wrong because i have a brand new trailer, and i tested it on another vehicle. so i was reading some forums and multiple people had the same problem. they suggested geting a heavy duty flasher relay, so i did and it fixed the problem.

Im not sure if this will help you at all, but if nothing else works try getting a heavy duty flasher relay.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some here say this is not necessary, i say it is, and companys are even starting to make a 6 wire harness, the 5th & 6 th wire being a continuous ground wire the goes to each fixture. they have 3 wires to each side of the trailer, running, turn and ground wire.

i have been running continous ground on all my trailer for years, the only problem i have is blown bulbs.

sdcoll

Cadet

If that bulb is good then you still have a bad ground somewhere. A lot of folk out here suggest individual grounding of everything. I tend to agree.
that the way i did it this weekend and it works fine...........i could be wrong but if you have power going to the lights end ,myself i would look at the other end (vehicle) harness or wiring part of it :confused:

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

that the way i did it this weekend and it works fine...........i could be wrong but if you have power going to the lights end ,myself i would look at the other end (vehicle) harness or wiring part of it :confused:

I plugged in the trailer adapter to my truck and tested it with a test light. All 3 female ports had power. If i prong the green wire from the small adapter that plugs into the 3 female ports on the big adapter it shows no power??? If I was to run a direct ground from the tounge of my trailer, where would I connect it to on the light?

reelfishin

Captain

Your lights need to be wired this way, first, the white wire, is battery negative and each light must be connected to the frame of the trailer or to this wire. This is usually a white wire on the light assembly as well.

Green is your right turn and stop lights
Yellow is your left turn and stop lights
Brown is your tail lights and side markers.

The white wire, or ground, needs to be connected to the trailer chassis, the trucks trailer socket should have this pin connected directly to the trucks frame.

If your dealing with a tilt trailer, then the best thing to do is to extend the ground wire from the trailer connector to the rear frame, if you have a trailer in which the frame bolts together, such as a Load Rite, or similar, then run a separate ground to both the left and right frame rails.
Loose or rusty bolts will impede the ground connection.

(Your taillights get their power half from the chassis of the truck and trailer, and the other half from the wiring harness. The white wire simply ensures the trailer is sharing the chassis ground connection with your tow vehicle.