Mercruiser 165 HP outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 165 HP outdrive

I'm glad sir, you did not take my post personally, and in the future, if you need help just post, many people here would like to help.

On ebay right now is a alignment bar, the last bid was 14 dollars, some can be had for 50 bucks with delivery anywhere in the good ole USA.

As always good luck !

wesondrums

Cadet

I'm glad sir, you did not take my post personally, and in the future, if you need help just post, many people here would like to help.

On ebay right now is a alignment bar, the last bid was 14 dollars, some can be had for 50 bucks with delivery anywhere in the good ole USA.

As always good luck !

I have my alignment bar on the way.. I have the manual.... Now Im sure that my engine is out of alignment.. I tried to remove my outdrive, and it seems to have some resistance... Should I just pry harder, or is it neccessary to remove the engine, then remove outdrive, then re-install the engine, and align engine, then install outdrive?

Robj

Lieutenant

While you are at it I would replace the gimbal, water pump and bellows. Check and lube the U joints as well.

Good luck

Rob.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I tried to remove my outdrive, and it seems to have some resistance... Should I just pry harder, or is it neccessary to remove the engine, then remove outdrive, then re-install the engine, and align engine, then install outdrive?

That would be my suggested order of work...

1. Try harder to remove outdrive, then align engine.

2. If that fails, remove engine, then outdrive, then reinstall engine, align it, and install outdrive last.

You are in forward gear, correct?

wesondrums

Cadet

That would be my suggested order of work...

1. Try harder to remove outdrive, then align engine.

2. If that fails, remove engine, then outdrive, then reinstall engine, align it, and install outdrive last.

You are in forward gear, correct?

Actually, when I tried to remove the outdrive, I did not have the manual yet, so I did not have it in forward... Now I know to. Is that maybe where my resistance was comming from? I was thinking the reason to have it in forward gear was to remove the prop without it spinning freely, but I was just taking a guess...

wesondrums

Cadet

While you are at it I would replace the gimbal, water pump and bellows. Check and lube the U joints as well.

Good luck

Rob.

I do have the impeller/water pump kit.. I will have to read about the gimbal and bellows.. And I assume there are greese zirks on the u-joints.. I also just got some marine greese so I will do that.. Thank you.. Oh, I had a question about the water pump. The book say's to use perfect seal on the impeller.. Im not sure I understand where to apply It, or what it is. Is it greese, or gasket maker???

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Put it in fwd gear so that the shift shaft is not damaged when the drive is removed.

wesondrums

Cadet

Ok.. so I got my boat on the water with no major problems.. Just a couple leaks that take on water over time... Could anyone tell me what all stabilizer fin's on the lower unit above the prop will do for me??? will it help power, or just help to bring the front down? Also, what will the difference be if i change prop pitch?

ziggy

Admiral

Could anyone tell me what all stabilizer fin's on the lower unit above the prop will do for me???
i counter acts the torque of the prop at the steering wheel so the steering wheel don't pull in one direction or another. the adj. is speed and trim sensitive and is set for whatever your favorite speed and trim is. at that speed and trim. if your steering wheel pulls to port. ya adj. the trim tab on the anti ventilation plate a shade to port. if it still pulls after a retry. you adj. it some more to port. opposite is true too. if it pull to starboard, adj. tab to starboard. goal is to have the helm steer freely in both directions when at your test speed and trim. any other trim and speed and the steering wheel my still pull one direction or another. this is normal.
will it help power, or just help to bring the front down?
it won't help with either. it's only to counter act the torque of the prop for steering comfort and safety..
what will the difference be if i change prop pitch?
you may have to reset where the tab is pointing. i'd assume a prop change will effect it. even so much as to have the tab interfere with the prop. the cure can be easy if that ends up the case.
IMG_0697.jpg

ya grind off the part the contacts the tab.

the adj. of the tab. is also noted in your service manual.

grinding off the tab is stated as a proper repair for prop contacting the tab in the service manual too.

there are also different tabs that can be had. one long, like the one in my pic. there's a shorter version + a version that don't have any tab. usually used when you have power steering as power steering takes away the need for having to counter act torque at the helm.. you need one of the tabs installed. it's also a sacrificial anode..
http://www.marinemechanic.com/New-Folder2/trim-tab.gif

180shabah

Rear Admiral

or just help to bring the front down

I think the fin he is talking about is one of those band-aid whale tails.

when speeds get much above 30-35mph those generic off the shelf "hydrofoils" can cause more problems than they cure. Get a set of trim tabs and never look back.

ziggy

Admiral

yer probably right 180.

if that's what yer talking about wes.

i haven't read anything that leads me to think i should put one on my boat. had one on my last boat. all it did for me was break off a section of my anti ventilation plate...

tabs of some kind would be more appropriate i'd think too..

some props can give more lift at the stern too i think.. maybe 4 blade props?

tabs or whale tale will help minimize bow rise.

some tab sellers also claim increased speed too.

i don't have tabs or a tail. but if i thought i needed one or the other. tabs i would consider.. a whaletail. probably not after having one break my drive on my last boat..

Status
Not open for further replies.