kicker or trolling motor?

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I'd like to get a trolling motor or something for fishing, but need to ask what is probably a really dumb question....

Why would I choose a kicker over a trolling motor? Do they serve the same purpose? A kicker would be like a little 9.9 or something, and a trolling motor is the electric ones....that is my understanding.

I have a 14ft with a 35 right now, but will likely be getting a 14' bowrider with a 70. Don't want to run the 70 all the time for fishing.....\

Any thoughts? What are my most economical options?

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: kicker or trolling motor?

Not sure of your need. In the northern states a kicker moter is used for trolling with down riggers on big water lakes. In the south they are mostly used to move sailboats in and out of slips and marinas, "can't use wind". A trolling motor, allows you to move boat in any direction at will, at a slower speed. Good for staying a "fishable" distance from laydowns, riprap or under water vegitation.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thought !!

What part of the boat do you want to fish from? A kicker is normally controlled from the stern, while a trolling motor is situated/ controlled in the bow. A kicker can also be used for an emergency/ get you home motor while I doubt that a trolling motor would have the guts or sustained power to do so.

My feeling is that a kicker can be used for long trolling, while a trolling motor is used to keep you in one place against the rivers current.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

on a 14ft. boat, and charged batteries, will last a weekend of almost constant ues with trolling motor.

ebry710

Ensign

I use the electric motor for positioning my boat for bass fishing. I am getting a 9.9 for lake trolling. So for me the answer is both.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Simple answer is that kickers shine for trolling long distances while electric "trolling motors" are best at on/off positioning/control of the boat and short run trolls. If your going to use the motor primarily to position yourself as you cast, don't fish in heavy winds often and plan to keep it's actual run time down to 4-5 hrs, then a 40-55# electric will work best. If you actually want to troll and be able to do it in a blow, then the constant and WAY higher HP output of the kicker will work better. To be honest though, not sure a gas kicker is a must have on a 14; boat with a 35070 hp. Those motors should troll fine and the extra transom weight of a kicker will make it harder to get up on plane.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess I don't understand? Have lived in the north and "kicker" 15 hp. motor worked along side 2 -150 hp engines, visited the south ;Same thing, other than sail boats that worked along side the wind. If we are talking about a 14 foot boat, a kicker motor seems a little much??? Doesn't "kicker" mean backup motor??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

kicker is an old term for any motor. electric is a trolling motor. a outboard is considered an auxillary motor. which can be use as emergency back up, or for slow trolling.

14 foot boat 45-55 lb thrust bow mount trolling motor is fine for a 14 ft boat. use a separate deep cycle battery.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have both a "trolling motor" and a "kicker" on my boat, and it is only a 15 footer with a 40. The trolling motor is used for tourney bass fishing, where we cast at a specific target, with one rod and reel at a time. I use a foot control, because it allows me to use both hands on the rod for casting/reeling, and then using a foot to maneuver the boat around to get a better casting angle for a dock, or brushpile, or whatever it is I am chunking at.

My kicker (Evinrude 4) is used to troll for stripers. I can barely get my main motor down to the speed that we sometimes pull U-rigs at, and I don't think I can get it down to the speed we pull cranks for crappie. And, even if I could, it doesn't like to idle continuously for hours. When pulling jigs for crappie, I often use my trolling motor on the lowest speed setting, as I cannot even get my kicker to idle slow enough to pull those. I don't like using my trolling motor, as keeping a foot on it, I have to crane my neck around to see my rods, and constantly am running back and forth in the boat, as I don't like pulling from the front.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is why i bought the wireless remote. true i have to hit a button with my hand. but it is much more convenient. i will never go back to a manual control.

jfkkesler

Seaman

Personally, i have an 18' HEAVY fiberglass boat, with a 9.9 4 stroke kicker that i use for trolling (downriggers for salmon, kokanee, etc.) and it is almost too much. I have to have the thing throttled ALL the way down. I would suggest, for a 14 footer, something like a high powered electric. Although, for safety in bad weather, a gas kicker is the way to go. That's just my experience though.

ebry710

Ensign

Personally, i have an 18' HEAVY fiberglass boat, with a 9.9 4 stroke kicker that i use for trolling (downriggers for salmon, kokanee, etc.) and it is almost too much. I have to have the thing throttled ALL the way down. I would suggest, for a 14 footer, something like a high powered electric. Although, for safety in bad weather, a gas kicker is the way to go. That's just my experience though.

If you had to do it all over again, what size kicker would you get for your 18'er?

mydogmax

Cadet

I have a 15 foot Klamath with a 40HP ETEC and a 6HP Tohatsu as a kicker/auxillary motor. Last year my old boat motor died 30 miles away from the marina on Lake Powell. I wish I had a kicker as the tow boat wanted to charge me $750 Fortunately, some elderly Mormons came by on their boat (they had an inboard/outboard 350 Chevy - POWERFUL!) and towed us back. I sold that boat and left the motor in the repair shop - for good! I bought my new boat with Kicker Insurance - I won't be stranded again! I also use my 30 lb thrust Minn Kota to troll with. Sometimes I leave it at home (when I am in Salt Water). Trolling motor is good for fresh water.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all depends where you take your boat. I take my 14'6" V-Hull to reservoirs and lakes and so the only means of power I have is a 27# Minn Kota trolling motor and it serves all of my purposes just fine. Granted its a slow, leasurly, stroll but I enjoy that. And its not painfully slow, i can move along at a pretty good clip.

As far as using a trolling motor to stay in one spot, thats what an anchor is for as far as I am concerned.

Alot of it has to do with where you will be taking your boat and also your preferences. I also prefer the trolling motor because all I have to do is plug in the battery when i get home and I'm good to go for another day. Rather than getting raped at the gas pump.

jfkkesler

Seaman

Optimally, about a 6 horse would be great. It is enough to keep me moving, not too overpowering, and could limp me home in case of trouble. Although it is nice to know that I have the added power of a 9.9 if I get into bad weather or trouble. I do most of my fishing on calm lakes or the Puget Sound (Washington State) where the weather can get deceivingly bad. So having that extra power is actually a little bit of a reassurance.