Steering System Question

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a used Monark fishing boat, the boat used to have a Yamaha 150 motor on it, the previous owner took the 150 off and put it on his pontoon and hung the old pontoon motor on the fishing boat.

I bought the boat with the old pontoon motor and the task at hand is to hook it up. He told me that he bought all new steering and control cables for the pontoon because the ones that came on the fishing boat were not long enough.

He left the steering system it in, but I don't think it will work. It has two cables going to the rear. If what I read, this is a no feedback system???

The much smaller Mercury Marine FORCE motor only has fittings for a single steering cable which would be something like a TELEFLEX Safe-T? Quick Stern Drive Rotary Steering System??

Am I correct so far?

Is their anyway to use what is left there or will I need to purchase a new system?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering System Question

better off with the new system.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If just for the peice of mind I would get a new system, steering isn't something you want to rig up.

The Teleflex system is a no feedback, don't know what the twin cables are, they are cables or hydraulic lines?

At any rate you will want to pony up and get the new system, they are pretty easy to put in and work really well.

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice

No they are not hydraulic, just two steering cables. They both move insync with each other.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Probably a dual cable system designed to eliminate the slack that naturally occurs in a single cable system. Slack can be a real concern in a very fast boat.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Dual cable is a better system.

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice

But this motor isn't setup for dual cables, so can I remove one of the two and use what I have? Nothing appears wrong with the steering unit still moves freely.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure but I don't see why not.

I mean really you could just hook up one and leave the other in the boat, so I don't see why you can't just remove one cable.

I would really like a dual cable but so far I've never messed with one myself.

Did you look into going the other way and using the dual on the Force?