rod holder -tubing/IPS pipe size?

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
'm looking to pick up a couple rod holders (taco?) for the boat and not sure what the different tubing measurements are. I'm thinking the rod holders will be a horizontal clamp on to the railing behind the rear bench.

I've seen the following types of measurements given:
# 7/8''-1'' tube
# 3/4''-1'' IPS pipe

If I measure the O.D. or circumference of the railing what does that equate too? The diameter is 3/4" btw.

mckee3.jpg

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rod holder -tubing/IPS pipe size?

are you trying to do something like this :

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_22890____SearchResults

forget about IPS, that's Iron Pipe size, if your thinking like what I linked you will want to go with PVC, whats pictures is 1 3/4 ID ( inside dia ) but I made some with 1 1/2 PVC on my boat with out problems, other boating tools like gaff and the push pole seem to fit better in the 1 1/2 pvc...good luck

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was hoping to put a couple of holders on the back rail without drilling the hull so I could troll for a few bluefish with the boys this summer. Mostly we will be crabbing and sightseeing, but I remember catching a few blue trolling when I was young and want to share the same with them.

Looks like I'll probably have to drill to put some holders in the back as the rail seems too small the more I search. The rails appear to be 3/4" stainless whereas the holders appear to be sized for 1" railings.

I was looking more along the lines of the single rod horizontal clamp on models.

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Tubing is measured by the outside diameter. Pipe (IPS) is measured by the inside diameter.

It's going to be tough finding a rod holder to fit a 3/4" diameter rail. Most rail mount holders are made for either a 7/8" or 1' diameter rail

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sure looks like what I want, but not sure what to make of this note:

"Clamps are sized for schedule pipe.
*schedule pipe size - If placing on tube, reduce size by 1/4"

Does that mean that the 3/4" is really for 1" ss tubing???

Sure appreciate the link. I'll try to call them when I can get to a phone.

reelfishin

Captain

A few years ago I added a set of clamp on stainless rod holders to the bow rail on my old boat, they came with various clamps and inserts to fit a variety of tubing sizes. I just checked several of my boats here, all have 3/4" OD tubing for their bow and side rails. One is aluminum, the others are stainless steel.

It seems to be the most common size tubing, I don't recall ever having a boat with larger tubing, at least not on a boat under 23' long.

The rod holders I bought were similar to these:

http://www.iboats.com/Perko_Rail_Mo...14970563--**********.918097912--view_id.39375

I wasn't real impressed with how the chrome plating pitted and that the clamp would actually dent the rail if overtightened. On my current boat, I used plastic clamp on holders and I used cork gasket material to pad the rail. This worked great since it took far less torque to hold the rod holder steady and in place. The plastic rod holders are cheap enough to just replace if one was to break or wear out in any way. They're a lot lighter too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The plastic rod holders are cheap enough to just replace if one was to break or wear out in any way.

Who pays for the $250 rod and reel combo you lost when the "cheap enough" rodholder broke?

reelfishin

Captain

Who pays $250 for a rod and reel combo?

There's no way I'd pay $75+ per rod holder to outfit a boat I paid next to nothing for to.
The rod holders I bought were excellent, they are not meant for trolling tuna, but work just fine for lake and river fishing. If something hits hard enough to rip them off the boat, it can have it and the rod.

If I were chasing 100lb fish it would be a different story but a 3 lb bass or 5 lb catfish isn't likely to break any rod holder unless it's completely sun rotted.
The most likely thing that would break a rod holder is either someone stepping on it or the tarp getting caught on it in the yard.

Most of my fishing tackle is flea market and yard sale finds, never more than a few dollars a piece. On my bigger boat, I have built in nylon rod holders, they save weight and don't corrode. I replace them every year or so. I bought a box of 100 or so of them for $20 a few years ago at a yard sale. They work fine. My 18' boat has two 3/4" rails along each side, I have two rod holders up high and two down low, the upper two are used only for transport, the lower ones are used only for small hand held spin rods. They are the plastic type and have been on there for as long as I've owned that boat, and probably for years before that. They are perfectly solid, and if the broke off, chances are the rod would fall to the deck, no overboard the way they are mounted.
Also, the rails themselves are only held on with 8 sheet metal screws on each side into thin aluminum. The whole rail would be long gone long before the nylon rod holder gave way.

Also, if you trolling for big fish, then shouldn't you have retention straps on your rigs?

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for all the comments. I decided I'd try to pick one up local so I can look at it first, rahter than ordering online, saving $10, and not being happy. Still thinking about the tigress/taco and wrapping the rail if I have to, but want to look at the clamps first. I thought some had backing plates to the clamps and were less likely to mar the rail.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Who pays $250 for a rod and reel combo?

There's no way I'd pay $75+ per rod holder to outfit a boat I paid next to nothing for to.
The rod holders I bought were excellent, they are not meant for trolling tuna, but work just fine for lake and river fishing. If something hits hard enough to rip them off the boat, it can have it and the rod.

If I were chasing 100lb fish it would be a different story but a 3 lb bass or 5 lb catfish isn't likely to break any rod holder unless it's completely sun rotted.
The most likely thing that would break a rod holder is either someone stepping on it or the tarp getting caught on it in the yard.

Most of my fishing tackle is flea market and yard sale finds, never more than a few dollars a piece. On my bigger boat, I have built in nylon rod holders, they save weight and don't corrode. I replace them every year or so. I bought a box of 100 or so of them for $20 a few years ago at a yard sale. They work fine. My 18' boat has two 3/4" rails along each side, I have two rod holders up high and two down low, the upper two are used only for transport, the lower ones are used only for small hand held spin rods. They are the plastic type and have been on there for as long as I've owned that boat, and probably for years before that. They are perfectly solid, and if the broke off, chances are the rod would fall to the deck, no overboard the way they are mounted.
Also, the rails themselves are only held on with 8 sheet metal screws on each side into thin aluminum. The whole rail would be long gone long before the nylon rod holder gave way.

Also, if you trolling for big fish, then shouldn't you have retention straps on your rigs?

The problem is that he's not fishing the river for 3-5 lb catfish. He?s trolling in the Chesapeake Bay. Hooking up with a very large fish is a distinct possibility.

For fishing in the river and a small lake plastic is fine, but not under the circumstance involved.

FWIW: I think you'll find that a good quality trolling rod combined with a good quality 4/0 reel is going to set you back every bit of $250, if not a lot more. ;)

reelfishin

Captain

The problem is that he's not fishing the river for 3-5 lb catfish. He?s trolling in the Chesapeake Bay. Hooking up with a very large fish is a distinct possibility.

For fishing in the river and a small lake plastic is fine, but not under the circumstance involved.

FWIW: I think you'll find that a good quality trolling rod combined with a good quality 4/0 reel is going to set you back every bit of $250, if not a lot more. ;)

I've run the Chesapeake bay a few times for stripers, nothing larger.
I don't go there with my lake boat though, I would take my 18' cuddy there.
I rarely troll, usually bait fish or chunk for stripers.

I just found a pair of near mint Penn 340 GTi reels on a pair of super clean Lamiglas roller tip and stripper rods for $60 at a local yard sale, while I will probably never use them on my boat here, they would be fine for an offshore party boat. I generally stick to reels in the 20lb/200yd size, I have a few Shimano reels, a few Penn Internationals, and a bundle of rods to pick from. I always buy a deal when I see one, I rarely break a $20 bill for an outfit unless it's super nice or new. The saltwater here eats everything up fast, even if you rinse and lube your gear regularly. I can't see just ruining high dollar outfits in saltwater. Besides, tackle tends to get banged up to and from the boat. I don't feel so bad if a reel that I paid $10 for gets a little boat rash on the deck or if someone loses something I paid a few bucks for.
I'd get down right nasty if someone broke or lost a $250 outfit.
Most of my rods are custom built, by me, at wholesale prices, I have little to nothing in most of them other than some time.

I've used those rail mount nylon holders on the sides of my boats for years, not one has ever failed. If I were trolling or even chunking for stripers, I'd have the outfits set in the rear flush mounted rod holders, if I was moving, I have straps to secure each rod in place.
If a rod was in the side holder, there's little chance of it going over, it would almost certainly fall the the deck rather than be pulled over the railing. The holders are facing rearward and the railing on my boat is pretty much to the inner edge of the gunwale. The bottom of the rod holder is below the railing inside the boat, with the lines going out the back of the boat, it would no doubt have to travel the length of the deck, past all occupants and up over the splash well to get out of the boat.

I never liked how most metal clamp on rod holders dented the railing or simply chewed it up when the slipped or moved. I've had several of the ball and socket type mount holders snap off after trying to move them after a few years. I've also not yet kept a boat long enough to be concerned with plastic holders showing any age wear.

Also, If fishing for any fish capable of compromising a rod holder, I'd have to look really close at how well the railing itself is attached. All of my boats have had railings that were held down with no more than self tapping sheet metal screws or small stainless nuts and bolts. The railings are made up a short sections suspended between the mounting points, bend any section of tubing and it will pull free, if the railing didn't pull out of the gunwale first. On the ones which I replace, I normally make up a threaded base plate to mount below the gunwale, but that's not always an option if the underside of that area isn't accessible.
I would venture to bet that most railings won't support a persons weight, and many would give way far sooner.
Aluminum railings are worse yet.

My buddy had made the mistake of tying the slack anchor rope to his bow rail rearward post, the anchor got stuck, his poorly tied knot slipped and let the weight of the boat in the current drift back putting weight on the bow railer, which quickly pulled free of the gunwale on his aluminum boat. The railing bent only slightly, pulling that section of rail free, ripping the next mount completely out of the deck. The boat was not under power, just anchored against the outgoing river tide.

While I put in one piece SS railing for hime, it's still only secured by small gauge screws to an aluminum gunwale with some 1/4" backing plates.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm a rod builder and troll 16 rods in the Spring for Striper.

I built all sixteen on IFGA Seeker blanks using Aftco stripper and roller tips, Fugi SIC turbo guides, Slick butts, and chrome over brass reel seats. You get the idea ;)

Rails are not problem. All are 1" welded stainless, thru bolted with backing plates. Three or four wraps of electrical tape around the rails and the rotating and marking problems are solved

Spring Trophy Season starts in 39 days :)

reelfishin

Captain

I'm a rod builder and troll 16 rods in the Spring for Striper.

I built all sixteen on IFGA Seeker blanks using Aftco stripper and roller tips, Fugi SIC turbo guides, Slick butts, and chrome over brass reel seats. You get the idea ;)

Rails are not problem. All are 1" welded stainless, thru bolted with backing plates. Three or four wraps of electrical tape around the rails and the rotating and marking problems are solved

Spring Trophy Season starts in 39 days :)

I had a few here, not sure of the brand, which had dimples or teeth inside the clamp that would dig into the rail. They were just rough enough to make a mark, yet not enough to guarantee it to stay put.
Those came as part of a T top kit bought at the boat show for a buddies boat, he used the T top but not the rod holders. I put the rod holders on a surf cart I have. The inserts in the SS rod holders on my one boat melted, they sort of shrank and got sticky, I finally pulled them out and put in PVC holders. The brass rod holders on my cuddy cabin are fine but they weight about 5 pounds each. They have a black PVC liner and are chrome plated.
Never did much trolling for stripers here, just chunking and some live lining or drifting with eels. The largest fish I see on my boat is black drum, maybe 80 to a 100lb if your lucky. Those rods never leave your hands, the rod holders are only there for transport to the fishing spot. I don't think I'd trust any of the clamp on rod holders I have for trolling or to hold with a fish on. Their just not made for it. You would probably twist off the ball socket or pivot point on the adjustable ones, on the fixed mount holders, a good sized fish would no doubt rip the whole rail off the boat. I've caught my foot on the rails before and pulled the ends out of the mounts just boarding the boat. There's only about a 1/2" of tubing recessed inside each stand. (Mine is made with a bunch of short pieces of tubing, not one long piece with a bunch of stands slid over the whole tube). There's not even any set screws in the stands, each stand just traps the last section in place.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I picked up two Tigress rod holders yesterday, thanks for the suggestion. Bottom work done and boat is back on the trailer with rod holders mounted and ready to go. They worked fine on my 3/4" rail size.