Building in a cooler - options?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I am just beginning the tear-it-apart stage of doing a new interior on my 20' bowrider and am wanting to build in a cooler spot.

I plan on making lounge seats beside the dog house, so I should have decent room for installing a cooler on one side.

My question is: Are there coolers made which will fit into this area and still be low enough to make a seat above it look normal height? It's looking as though the dimensions will be roughly 38"W x 18"H x 14"D. Pretty odd dimensions, I know :(

I would really like to put it here, as it would make the boat look seamless and utilize some valuable storage space.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Building in a cooler - options?

Wow, I don't think I'm gutsy enough to make a custom cooler. Oops is insane :). I haven't looked at that thread in a long time.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, I don't think I'm gutsy enough to make a custom cooler. Oops is insane :). I haven't looked at that thread in a long time.

aww, come on, he's not asking you to stretch the hull to fit in your new cooler! :)

have a little confidence in yourself, these guys will help you through it and you'll have a great sense of pride and achievement when you are done.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too am getting ready to build a cooler compartment, although not as a seat base. (not yet anywho) I'm going to figure the approx dementions then go cooler shopping (probably wallymart) and get a cooler with nearly the same dementions only slightly smaller. Then I'll build the cooler compartment keeping in mind that I have to be able to reach my hand inside to remove the cooler without busting my knuckles. I'll buy a cooler without a drain. No leaks, ever.

I thought about a permanent cooler box, but decided against it. It would need a drain of some sort, insulation and then theres the possibility of leaks from the drain in the future. So I'm opting for the more practical of the two. :)

salty87

Commander

i like the way jpmurphy is thinking.

there are a few drawbacks to a built-in. you have to load your cooler in the boat since that's where it is, that gets old. you have to take trash out of the built-in at the end of the day if you use it as trash too. it gets nasty that way sometimes if you forget or get lazy. it has to drain as jp said, they can crack especially if a friend chunks a bottle in there like a moron.

if you make a space that you can drop a cooler into, it might be easier. you can replace it if you need. you can use that spot as storage if you want and leave the cooler out in the open.

my built-in cooler is right by the capt chair, that can get old if there's lots of traffic to the cooler.

erikgreen

Captain

Hmmm... just from reading the first post and the subject line, I'm thinking you'll need a pretty big cooler to fit a 20 foot boat in for building work. On the bright side it would be cheap to heat, though :)

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm... just from reading the first post and the subject line, I'm thinking you'll need a pretty big cooler to fit a 20 foot boat in for building work. On the bright side it would be cheap to heat, though :)

:) It could be a cozy place for friends to meet. :D