Premade stringers?

searayvan

Recruit
I just bought a 1988 Sea Ray 20 BR. I thought I would have to rebuild the carb. and be good to go. It has now snowballed into a complete stringer and deck replacement. I was a custom cabinet maker for 12 years, so I am pretty confident on my skills. What i was curious about is if anyone has tried the premade stringers from Prisma?
It seems the time I could save would be worth trying, not to mention there is no wood to rot, bedding is not an issue so there are no hard spots. I only paid $1000. for the boat. I have put another $800 in repairing or replacing what i thought was everything in need of repair, but that was before I had to cut out the deck and stringers.
My wife is still mad about me selling the 28' Ranger so I need to get this thing in the water quick. I couldn't take 9 knt. top speed any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Premade stringers?

other than cost, i have heard good things.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Unless you got next day shipping i cant imagine it would save you any time..
post and scribe the wood and cut them.. add hull angle if you choose and your done.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I just bought a 1988 Sea Ray 20 BR. I thought I would have to rebuild the carb. and be good to go. It has now snowballed into a complete stringer and deck replacement. I was a custom cabinet maker for 12 years, so I am pretty confident on my skills. What i was curious about is if anyone has tried the premade stringers from Prisma? It seems the time I could save would be worth trying, not to mention there is no wood to rot, bedding is not an issue so there are no hard spots. I only paid $1000. for the boat. I have put another $800 in repairing or replacing what i thought was everything in need of repair, but that was before I had to cut out the deck and stringers.
My wife is still mad about me selling the 28' Ranger so I need to get this thing in the water quick. I couldn't take 9 knt. top speed any longer.

Hello m8...

so 1k on boat..and another 800 clams on replacement..or repairs ?( what repairs ). got some pics ? and now your into deck and stringers ?? got pics ? Id love to see them.. Id like to see your 28 Ranger pics too..

Now you have an 88 SR ( 20 years old ) .. your drive is ok?..what drive do you have..what motor..? all in good condition ? bellows..impeller ? why do you link to a mod stringer system ?

Who is CompositeExpertHelp ? And I digress..how does a new stringer system fit into an 88 SR bowrider help ? .. buy a new hollow stringer for more then the boat is worth IMO..

Sorry..Im cranky today..but still..please help me out..

YD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hello

I am new to iboats and noticed our product name here on a google search. My name is Scott Lewit, President of Structural Composites and Compsys, Inc. I am the principal inventor of Prisma Preforms. At Structural Composites we do R&D, Testing, Engineering, ABYC Composite Training and specialized manufacturing.
Our Prisma preform products are used by many boatbuilders in new construction. To make Prisma, we expand foam into a knit fiberglass fabric. The result is lightweight, rot proof stringers, bulkheads and beams. So if your boat was built with this (1994-on) you will have a long lasting durable boat. I own a 1994 Proline that was back then an instrumented test boat. Proline builds wood free. After 15 years the boat is still in great shape and I plan to keep it as it is the perfect boat for this part of Florida.

With the economy down we are seeing more people restoring their boat. They are often dealing with replacing rotted wood stringers. Our Prisma products have been geared for new construction, however we have adapted our product to better meet the repair market needs.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Also I am happy to try and answer any questions on composite construction and repair.

A couple of pictures of a new boat build are attached so you can see what Prisma Preforms look like before and after installation.

Thank you
Scott Lewit
Hello Scott, I removed your links. I suggest you contact iboats about becoming a vendor. We are happy to have you but the "rules" about solicitation are firm. Since we have appeared on a google search I suggest you contacts iboats HQ during the week.

Thanks,
Bob

jonesg

Admiral

It might make sense for a new hull...

I went with 3/4 ply, resined, glassed both sides and edges sealed.
I talked to the guy at seacast about making stringers from his product,
then I ended up making my own mix instead to re-core my deck.

The problem has resolved itself in my view , not to be the use of wood itself but the foam that keeps the wood wet until it rots. Lack of drainage is the real problem, boats get wet, but if it can't get out?

Either way, if I wanted to use a lot of that sort of product I would make it myself.