hang on !!! dont wanna lose yer junk!!!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Why you have a kill switch

wow run ashore rolled over and was still running!!!

i have almost been in that situation..........of course mine is just a bass boat.

ebry710

Ensign

Someone's not happy. Got to love that engine performance. Sideways and upside down and still going.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

An R&D guy from a local company was testing a boat, full throttle full left, then right well he got thrown out of the boat, no lanyard attached to the the life jacket he wasn't wearing.

So now he is in the water and the boat is going around in circles at full throttle, not wearing a life jacket actually saved him in this intance as the boat kept come over him and he would have to dive down to miss it.

Eventually it made wider and wider circles and hit a sea wall and stopped but he learned a valuable lesson.

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's just a little scratched up, it's still good, it's still good! I was expecting to see a mangled up hull, that didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would.

cribber

Lieutenant

That could have been so much worse for the boat and the guy... My kill switch gets checked quite often because I'll forget I'm still tethered and reach for something a little farther than the lanyard will go and then silence...

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats going to leave a mark:rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Always wear mine if I am alone.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have one on my outboard, might need to look into that.

jash1178

Seaman

Yea, live in coastal carolina and we had a teenager die locally here who had this same type of incident happen to him and he was boating all of his life. It was not pretty what so ever. My new boat pictured has the safety feature and I will use it all the time.

pduquette

Ensign

Just made me check the store . for under $12 I'll be adding one .:) I don't wana be posting footage in S.H.T !!!:D

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy two and keep one in the tool box. In fact, you can buy a set of all of them, and you will be a hero when someone else loses his.
Redundancy....

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the lake of the ozarks here in Missouri, I have seen this happen a lot. Where we camp is on the same point as the Ft. leonard Wood Rec area. The army boys go nuts when they go on leave. I could probably count on one hand the times I have seen them actually wear life jackets. in the extreme I can't count the boats they have trashed. It's not just them and their safety either. They are a hazzard to everyone around them. It's like anything else there are some that abide by whats right and some don't. I pray for all and try my best to stay out of their path. Dave

ziggy

Admiral

kinda a old thread, but the the lesson is a good one.
last summer, 2 cats in a bass boat lost it similar to that. no lanyard, no pfd. got chased down by their own boat. from news reports it took three times around to get them. they fended off the boat on the first two times it came back at them, but not the third. one drowned after being knocked unconscious. the other got chopped up. both doa....
IMG_4614-1.jpg

the rescue scene. the yellow maker is where i believe they found the fellas. this was after about 3.5 hours of looking for them. what the pic don't show is that the land is a peninsula. land ends off to the right of where the pics cut off at. that's where the accident occurred and they floated that far away from the accident scene. also, that whole peninsula was filled with rescue vehicles. 2 helicopters were involved the the rescue effort.
it was a sad day at the lake that day to be sure..
oh, both victims were claimed to be avid boaters. boat was a vip bass boat w/200hp o/b throttle was @ wot when recovered....

j_martin

Admiral

I use my kill switch religiously. I've been through a few bat turns at 60 with a bass boat. It beats you up pretty good if it goes good, and can both knock you out and toss you out if it gets ugly.

All it takes to get into one is to be operating near the familiar limit, and have something unusual, like an unseen wake, change the parameters. At least if I get tossed out, my steed will wait for me instead of circling me till it gets me.