Learning to rebuild outboards

rgrruston

Cadet
Hi all. I'm new to this website and these forums and hope I am posting in the correct place. I have a pretty good understanding of typical combustion engines. I am somewhat familiar with how 2-stroke engines work. My question is, are there any books available that could guide me in learning to rebuild outboards? Would the repair manuals available on this website suffice, or is there much more to know? My idea is to find a few inexpensive older model outboards and start practicing. I'm sure I'll need guidance along the way, though. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Learning to rebuild outboards

Studying a repair manual will give you a lot of nuts and bolts information, but there is no substitute for on the job training and experience. Like any other profession, you won't learn it overnite.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Start turning wrenches on something you don't really care about like you said..you'll then come across something you're unsure about...then post your question here!

MAS

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Buy a junker engine (or find one for free or cheap) and just take it apart... there's nothing like hands on!

and welcome to the iBoats forum...

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't do it, you'll get addicted like me. I started and can't stop now. I rebuilt one, it runs perfectly; I stored it and am working on a second one and feel great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"He has a pretty strong OMC bias". of course they are the best.

Fishr23

Seaman Apprentice

I am the same way now. I bought my boat but was a little nervous because the last boat I owned had a old Scott motor on there and I had so much trouble finding parts. So when I found out I had a 1959 I thought O no. Well it turns out there is alot of parts out there for my motor and now I am looking for other motors like a kicker instead of paying 1000-2000 for a new kicker I think a nice old Evinrude will do the job just fine at a price that wont break the pocket.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I had some Scotts and a couple of the air cooled Ted Williams. I could make them run nice, and I always found parts...but it just seemed to be one thing after another....fuel system, then ignition, then lower unit... on and on... always ran 100% in the barrel, but could never get down the lake more than few times before the next episode...
could just have been my luck though

My Evinrudes and Johnsons have often made through a whole season or two without wrenching on them

rgrruston

Cadet

Wow, thanks for all the great information and book references. This looks like the beginning of an another addictive hobby.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

this has nothing to do with the post but HOWARD STERDRIVE your avatar made my day.