Idle N 3,000 Acre Lake!

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this OK for my engine?? it is a mercury xr6 150, oil injection. The lake I am going to is a IDLE ONLY lake and it is three thousand acres!!! Will this cause damage to my engine idleing this much???? :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Idle N 3,000 Acre Lake!

properly gapped plugs, good impeller, it should idle all day.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Idle N 3,000 Acre Lake!

I do NOT recommend idling larger engines for for than a few minutes.

Oil tends too "fall out" of the fuel/air stream at low velocities, the topmost main bearing runs low on lube as does the upper side of the pistons/cyls. Leading to a MUCH shortened time between rebuilds.

You may increase oiling by adding oil to your fuel, figure the engine oil pump ratio at idle is about 100:1, adding oil to your fuel calculated to achieve 100:1 should result in a 50:1 delivered to the motor. You may elect to err on the side of caution and run a final/delivered oil ratio of 45 - 40:1

Surface gap spark plugs may prematurely foul with extended idling at these oil ratios. IF piston clearance is there you may opt to run NGK BR7HS plugs gapped at .030, but you MUST VERIFY ADEQUATE PISTON CLEARANCE PLUS .050 at TDC before starting the motor. Some motors have enough clearance to run the extended tip NGK BPR7HS, but again, CLEARANCE MUST BE VERIFIED.