Pulling to st'bd....!?

H.M.S.

Cadet
Hey,

Apologies first if this is not the correct forum......

I test drove a Proline CC with a 115 Johnson o/b at the weekend. Pretty calm on Lake Tarpon.....
Idled her out from the ramp and proceeded up from idle to mid range, no where near on plane. She pulled to starboard pretty heavily at pretty much all revs before getting on plane, at which point she was steady...
The owner said she always did that.....didn't feel right, never had that on CCs or other o/b boats I'd rented before.
Any thing jump out....? Obviously I didn't buy the boat but he's now offering at a reduced amount. Apart from that she was pretty nice....

Thanks

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pulling to st'bd....!?

Hey,

Apologies first if this is not the correct forum......

I test drove a Proline CC with a 115 Johnson o/b at the weekend. Pretty calm on Lake Tarpon.....
Idled her out from the ramp and proceeded up from idle to mid range, no where near on plane. She pulled to starboard pretty heavily at pretty much all revs before getting on plane, at which point she was steady...
The owner said she always did that.....didn't feel right, never had that on CCs or other o/b boats I'd rented before.
Any thing jump out....? Obviously I didn't buy the boat but he's now offering at a reduced amount. Apart from that she was pretty nice....

Thanks

pulled or leaned, there's a difference. Sometimes you'll get feedback from the helm if it isn't a non-feedback or hydraulic system.

H.M.S.

Cadet

actually pulled...the wheel turned to starboard pretty heavily until I grabbed it.....

thanks

capt sam

you're getting feedback thru the helm from the motor torque or there could be an issue with the skeg but my money is on the helm. You can replace that system for a couple of hundred bucks, maybe a little less.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Have you looked at the trim tab (right under the cavitation plate)? Sounds like it may be in need of adjustment.

woosterken

Lieutenant

as back lash said check the little fin just above the prop
anoidfinforoutdrive004.jpg

anoidfinforoutdrive001.jpg

woosterken

H.M.S.

Cadet

thanks...I'll check it out. I think it was pretty much straight up and down without any bias to port or stbd.
you can just make it out in the picture......

Attachments

• proline ob.jpg
    proline ob.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0

Splat

Lieutenant

If the boat is pulling to starboard, you'll want the rear of the fin to the starboard side as well to combat the engine torque. Make small adjustments until your happy with the performance.

Bill

ziggy

Admiral

trim-tab.gif

maybe this will help...

also keep in mind. this adj. is good for whatever speed you set it for. other speeds and you'll still have torque steer.. so set it for whatever speed is your favorite speed..

capt sam

trim tab adjustment may cause some issue but it would do it throughout the throttle range, I had a boat years ago with feedback helm it did exactly what he's describing.

ziggy

Admiral

from pp. 1A11, s/m #2...

"NOTE: When trimming in or trimming out, steering torque may increase even though trim tab has been adjusted properly. Trim tab will be most effective at the boat speed and trim setting for which tab was adjusted."

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

The prop will turn clockwise./ with the larger prop rakes, say 15 degree to25 degree and above, you will have a lot of right hand pull, " parasitic prop wash drag." If you can't get it to even out useing the trim ajust., at cavitator plate. There are hydro. fins that have additional trim tabs,that may help.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Whichever side the boat is pulling to adjusst the tab in that direction. BEt that wil solve the problem. Then maybe you csan get a good deal.