epoxy resin coating wood?

jheeziee110

Cadet
hello, I Have just started my first boat project and my first boat. I have a 15 foot alum boat that i got off of craigs list cheap. I ripped the wood out of it and i am going to replace the wood floor this week, i cant help but notice that some of you guys are coating the wood with resin or something. I had plannede on buying some marine treated plywood and i figured that would be enough. Is that just to protect or what is the other benefit of this. Where would i get something like that? any help is greatly appreciated

JeffsAV

Seaman
Re: epoxy resin coating wood?

Marine Plywood still benefits from coating with resin. The resin will help to prevent moisture from penetrating the wood. It will also add a degree of strength to the wood as well. If you can paint with a brush, you can resin as well. Add some glass cloth for even more strength.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only thing about epoxy is that it needs to be covered/painted. It breaks down in sunlight to uv. So if you're going to bother to seal your wood with resin, make sure to paint/cover the exposed resin too.

jheeziee110

Cadet

well what kind of resin is it. where do i get it from. i have fiberglassed before but never put resin on. is it a get it from home depo or lowes thing?

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

lots of guys here get these types of items from US composites, other sources include a local boat store, or check your yellow pagers for fiberglass. a google search of epoxy resin will also yield many results. Good Luck

TC

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is readily available at home improvement and farm stores (check the automotive dept) and it is also available at many of the bigger automotive stores. Just ask for Epoxy Resin and the hardner to go with it. If you don't need to add strength, forget the fiberglass cloth. It's just another step you may or may not need. Buying resin from a boat store will probably cost you twice as much as getting it any other outlet.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

For small projects I go to Wally World, its cheaper than anywhere else (no epoxy though), acetone is too. As bad as it seems I get as much as I can find there, water filters etc, its always cheaper and they carry some first class stuff. This winter they had some auto infaltable PFD's for 35 dollars-the SAME ones that are like 99 to 120 everywhere else. I wish I had bought a few just in case...

Last edited:

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

J110, everything that the guys have posted above is spot on. Whenever I use marine plywood I cover it with resin in all cases. NOTE THAT THE EDGES OF THE PLYWOOD WILL SOAK UP THE RESIN LIKE A SPONGE SO KEEP SOPPING IT ON WHILE IT'S STILL WET. The same thing is also true about holes through the plywood - they are essentially "internal" edges. Also, if splitting and rot is going to occur, the edges (or holes) are good places to start.

Also I have noticed that if the plywood is bent over a curved surface, you possibly may eventually see some minor surface splitting on the convex side and some small rippling on the concave side. (I know one of you guys out there knows the proper term for this effect.) I have found that a layer of fiberglass eliminates effect this and makes for a much nicer surface finish. For that reason, for improved rot and abrasion resistance, and for improved surface finish, I have fiberglassed probably 65% of the plywood on my boat. Have fun with your project. :)

jheeziee110

Cadet

you guys are a big help. thank you. is it pretty self explainitory to coat it? so i will need the resin epoxy and a hardener. i could not find instructions on this site anywhere. after i paint it do i need to carpet it to be safe or is that a bad idea

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Your in the wrong forum. Check out boat restoration and building, there a ton of info on epoxy and polyester resin there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I frequently see people recommend coating plywood with epoxy and no glass, this is a short term method of water proofing it. While epoxy is fairly strong when compared to polyester resin, its not strong enough to hold up long term without the help of glass. Over time the plywood will start to check (crack) and allow water in, it just takes longer than it does with polyester, a light layer of cloth eliminates this issue.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Over time the plywood will start to check (crack) and allow water in, it just takes longer than it does with polyester, a light layer of cloth eliminates this issue.

What weight, Ondarvr? When you say light, what do you recommend?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Something in the 6 to 8oz range will hold up well, but in non wear areas it can be lighter.

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in the process of doing this on my boat with standard 1/4-3/4" plywood depending on the application. I have been coating both sides and all edges with resin and, where applicable, fiberglass.

As a matter of fact, I have just come in from outside after coating some parts with resin. Just waiting for it to dry.

The resin part is pretty easy once you get the hang of how much hardener (the clear liquid) to apply. Not enough and it takes too long to dry. Too much and it starts to gel and dry in the pan you mixed it in. When I first started, I actually counted the drops per the instructions but after a time or two, I just started eyeballing how much to add. Sometimes it's just right and sometimes it's off but I've not had to scrap anything because of it. If you get it too thin and it's not drying right, you can just whip up another batch and paint over it. The new coat will accelerate the previous coats drying time. It really is very easy.

Also, you can use Acetone to thin the resin down a bit depending on the application. It goes on easier that way. I don't thin it down every time, just depends on what I'm doing with it.

Last edited:

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ondarvr, would 4 oz. e glass be a good choice for the deck and bulkheads. The deck will be covered with a teak plank.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you're not walking it it should be OK.