15HP Enough Power for 14ft Fiberglass V-hull

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm a boating newbie and have been doing quite a bit of research the past few weeks.

I'm looking at purchasing a 14ft Fiberglass V-hull skiff made by Flare(~5.5ft beam). The boat currently has a 2004 15HP Yamaha 4 stroke tiller. I cannot find the exact weight of the hull, but based on the boat nameplate, its rated for a max weight of ~940lbs and 40HP engine. My concern is that the 15HP 4 stroke will not be large enough to plane the boat with two people and gear. From what I gathered, the owner of the boat usually rides alone, so I'm not sure this has been tested.

I plan to test drive the boat with the owner before taking possession, but figured I'd pull from different experiences on the forum. Thanks guys.

Ronnie

DSC01096.jpg

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15HP Enough Power for 14ft Fiberglass V-hull

I would say it is under powerd you need at least 75% of the max rated HP so a 30hp would be idel but a 25HP might work too;) test drive it and you will find out

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

I've read 70-75% of the rated power, but to me a 40HP seems like a high rating for this 14ft boat. This is only based on what current manufacturers rate their 14ft skiffs at and not from experience though.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

My most recient boat (just sold after 13 years) was a 14'x54" fiberglass , 400#, Laravee that was rated for a 25. With a 2 stroke 15 Merc, it would give me 23-24 mPH on the fishfinder (no GPS). With two adult riders, it dropped to 17-19 mph. That motor was about right for that boat IMHO. However, since yours is a foot wider, and no doubt heavier, I'm guesstimating that a 15 4 stroke will be marginal. You'd no doubt be better with a 25 if you want to plane without a struggle. FWIW, I'm rigging it's 40 hp (16x6') rated replacement with a 30 HP 4 stroke now.)

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it was aluminum I'd say yes, but fiberglass is a lot heavier so probably not. I would try it first, if it no worky, sell the motor on CL and buy a bigger motor, they're on there all the time cheap. btw, 15 Yami 4 sroke is a very good and popular motor, price it on KBB and go high, it'll sell. One other note, Flare boats, the ones that were made in central Fla are pretty good boats, I like that hull you have alot, it would make a great flats skiff.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

You're certainly not going to be setting any speed records with that combination but I like the lines of that hull a lot and that Yammy's a very nice motor (OK, so I'm partial to them). I'm pretty sure it will move along at around the numbers suggested above, so it's all about how much hurry you are in and what kind of deal you're getting. Also, does the boat have a wooden subfloor in it? That will add a lot of weight, especially if it's water logged or rotten.

If the rig checks out (i.e., no mechanical or structural problems) you could always live with that motor for a season then up the power later. They key is to do a lot of shopping and compare what is out there. I'm sure in this economy there's some screaming deals to be had so don't settle unless there's some overwhelming reason to do so. Like capt sam says, do a sea trial and all will be revealed. :D

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

You're certainly not going to be setting any speed records with that combination but I like the lines of that hull a lot and that Yammy's a very nice motor (OK, so I'm partial to them). I'm pretty sure it will move along at around the numbers suggested above, so it's all about how much hurry you are in and what kind of deal you're getting. Also, does the boat have a wooden subfloor in it? That will add a lot of weight, especially if it's water logged or rotten.

If the rig checks out (i.e., no mechanical or structural problems) you could always live with that motor for a season then up the power later. They key is to do a lot of shopping and compare what is out there. I'm sure in this economy there's some screaming deals to be had so don't settle unless there's some overwhelming reason to do so. Like capt sam says, do a sea trial and all will be revealed. :D

I appreciate the info. The boat does have wood subfloors with carpet between the bench seats...

DSC01098.jpg

I pulled up the subfloors and the boat seems solid throughout. I feel it's a pretty good deal because of the condition of the boat, you can tell its been maintained. We agreed on $2500 for the boat, trailer and motor(titles on hand). Based on some research I've done, that seems like a fair deal, I could be wrong.

I will definately do a sea trial with the owner and see how she does. I've considered temporarily hooking up a tach to the engine to see what rpms at WOT.

coltdog

Cadet

You've gotten good advice from everyone on the forum that has responded.
The main question that I would ask myself is what lakes are you going to be fishing? Smaller inland lakes that stay relatively calm, the boat would be fine. You may not get from point A to point B in a record, but you'll get there. If you decide to start fishing lakes where you could encounter 2, 3, or 4 footers, you are going to want MORE horsepower for that boat. Safety is number 1 on the water, and if you aren't able to keep the bow of the boat up in a lot of chop, it could put you and your passengers in a bad position (especially with the added weight of gear).

If you're looking for a fishing boat, my advice would be to find a good deep V aluminum with a 25HP motor. They are a dime a dozen and can be had relatively inexpensively ($2K -3K) on average and if you look hard enough, sometimes less. Modifications on aluminum are much easier (drilling for electronics, bolting on anchor mounts, etc., the boat will be lighter (easier to tow and faster on the water and easier to keep anchored), more durable than fiberglass, and easier to repair if needed. Something that 99% of boaters do not take into consideration, also ...... aluminum is fire retardent.

jasper60103

Commander

It looks like a very nice setup.

Just food for thought. If you suspect you may need to repower that boat, you will usually find your best deal in a pkg. Folks want way too much for motors only. Frankly, I would hold out for the best pkg deal. Also, a comparable aluminum pkg would be less than $1500 near me.

See attachment.

Attachments

• fish_boat.JPG
    fish_boat.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I would trial it with him (or another adult) along. I think it should plane fine with one adult, but might struggle with two. I had a 12' fiberglass skiff (no floor) with a 10 hp on it, and it took a bit of shifting the weight around to get it going with a passenger. Of course I don't know how big you are. :D

CATransplant

Admiral

I like the look of your boat a lot. However, you're probably going to need a bit more outboard. Still, if you're fishing alone, experiment with weight balance by loading stuff into it more toward the front of the boat, like the fuel tank, etc.

I'd try it out, the way you'll be using it.

That's a nice outboard there on the back, and 15hp outboards aren't hard to sell. Yours should bring more than enough to find a nice 25hp Johnson or Evinrude in very good condition.

I wouldn't worry about 40hp. Since it's a tiller boat, I think you'd find the 40 hp more than you wanted to handle almost all of the time.

A 25hp should plane that boat out just fine with a couple of passengers and their gear.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That loocks like a nice outfit, and Yamaha is a good engine. However, as others have said. if hull was Aluminum 15hp would be ok but because you have a glass boat -much heavier, I would suggest you go for a bigger engine. A 25hp or 30hp would be better expecially if you have more than 2 people aboard.
My last boat was a 16ft Aluminum boat which was offered with a 15hp, but I upgrraded to a 25hp 4 Stroke and was happy that I did

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Most of the lakes around here are limited to 9.9HP engines, I just found this out today. The James River is an option, but 1-2ft waves are the frequent, so the 15hp would probably struggle with a passenger.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

My son's old boat was an 14' Alumacraft with a 9.9 Tohatsu on it. That thing hauled butt even with my 250lb body and a full livewell and fuel tank. I'd keep looking for an aluminum boat at this point.

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

One option would be to purchase the boat w/out motor, and buy a 25HP separate. I found an 04 Yamaha 25HP local for $1400. I couldnt do any lake fishing, but the rivers and Chesapeake bay would be an option.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

If your limited to a 9.9, You could look for a 15 or 18 hp 2 Stroke AND put 9,9 HP decals on it . This works pretty well since the motors are the same size (..or so I've heard ;-) wink ,wink).

BTW, that hull looks ALLOT like the Laravee I just sold after 13 yrs. Really nice lines!
If I might suggest, you might consider hanging a 3/4" plywood deck between the mid and bow seat . This will give you a allot of storage below and a nice long unobstructed casting deck (a la flats/bass boat). He're a pic of mine after I did the mod. Well worth it IMHO. ( Fell free to PM me for details if you go for it.)

WeeHooker008-1.jpg

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that's what you have....use it! If you can go bigger at some point than do it. At least your out on the water.

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

If your limited to a 9.9, You could look for a 15 or 18 hp 2 Stroke AND put 9,9 HP decals on it . This works pretty well since the motors are the same size (..or so I've heard ;-) wink ,wink).

BTW, that hull looks ALLOT like the Laravee I just sold after 13 yrs. Really nice lines!
If I might suggest, you might consider hanging a 3/4" plywood deck between the mid and bow seat . This will give you a allot of storage below and a nice long unobstructed casting deck (a la flats/bass boat). He're a pic of mine after I did the mod. Well worth it IMHO. ( Fell free to PM me for details if you go for it.)

WeeHooker008-1.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. After some consideration, I've decided to use a family owned jon boat for the lake fishing(9.9HP restricted) and proceed with purchasing this boat for use in the creeks off the James River. The waters there are fairly calm, and much shallower. I will more than likely upgrade to a 25HP motor in the future, but will use this for the shorterm. Obviously this is contingent on the sea trial. Thanks for all the replies.