transom question

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking at a 1972 starcraft 14' from the pics it looks good but haven't visually looked at it , my question is how does the wood on the transom hold up for all those years providing it was in good shape but then again were talking 35 years. if need to replace the wood is it hard to do?

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transom question

Well, It's not that hard providing you know how to use power tools. Transoms are not hard to replace, getting them out maybe. Try to get it out in one piece to use as a pattern for the new one. The transom maybe ok depending on where it was stored and what materials were used. poke at it with a screwdriver for rot. Good luck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is this an aluminum or glass starcraft?

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is a aluminum boat, if i had to replace the wood will the wood thickness be the same size in todays wood thickness, yea i think that was a dumb question.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

depend on the boat, but can be accomplished, relatively simple. a picture of the boat would help.

Nandy

Commander

The best way to test a transom is to actually drill a few holes in it from the inside. Of course, when you are buying a boat you are not allowed to do this. For fiberglass boats tapping the outside of the hull will give you an idea. A sharp tud generally means a solid hull. Dull "tuds" means wet wood or rotted wood. Thing is, it generally takes for you to have heard these before before you can learn the sound....
If it is an outboard you can try to see if the transom will flex while pushing in the lower unit.

Fixing a transom is not technically hard, but is a lot of work. Go to the restoration forum and look at the projects there and read what it takes...