Is this johnson kicker good enough

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 17 footer and am looking to get a kicker for it only to get to land if my main engine dies. The kicker I have is a johnson 2hp. Would that be enough to push the boat?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is this johnson kicker good enough

Against a current, no! On a calm lake it would move you, but not fast. I would look for a 9 hp minimum.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree, and the 2hp is probably short shaft and not get deep enough to get a bite on the water to push the boat.

iwombat

Captain

I have an '86 8hp on my 18' tinny and it'll do just fine even against a tide. I get about 6mph at WOT. Both the 6 and 8 of that era have the same displacement (and torque), which is all that matters until you get up on plane.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think 5HP would do the trick. I wouldn't trust a 2 to 4HP in a strong wind or current. My Johnny 2 wouldn't move my 17' Boston Whaler much faster than a 55# troller.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

A 2hp would push it...but not well. You'll have to go WOT and it'll probably rattle the crap out of you. I use a 4 hp yamaha 4-stroke kicker (less than 50 lbs) for trolling for my 14 lund which does a great job...but the boat weighs in just over 500 lbs. I have also used my 2 hp also on a 21 sailboat (1200 lbs) on lakes without any problems if there was not any strong head winds or currents. When I raced my sailboat, I wanted the lightest motor possible to cut down on weight...and the 2hp was the ticket!

It depends on the weight and hull design of your boat and how far you venture away...but I would not suggest a 2 hp as a reliable auxillary. A 5 hp maybe...depends on the boat!

MAS

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I remember being in a 10 foot boat with a 3 hp engine going at WOT forward but we were moving backward because of a strong headwind.