What Size & Type Of Anchor Is Best?

Wonderlar

Recruit
We now have a 23' Chris Craft Concept Cuddy & were hoping someone could give us suggestions on what weight & type of anchor would be best for this boat. We boat in North Idaho on Pend' Oreille & Coeur'd Alene lakes. Any info you could give us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Wonderlar

freddyray21

Commander
Re: What Size & Type Of Anchor Is Best?

a good Danforth anchor should work well. Not sure what the weight should be though. I am using a 15 lb on my sailboat, but not as big or heavy as your boat. The mushroom anchors are really only for small fishing boats and not much current or wake to deal with.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

15 lb. danforth with 15 feet of 3/8 inch chain should suffice. You could probably get by with less, but you want your anchor to hold if you really need it to (caught in a heavy blow). I currently run 20 feet of chain on mine for a 22' aluminum boat and it works pretty well up here in AK. Occasionally I have to send down a second anchor on a caribiner clip if I'm trying to stick it in a sand bottom over 150 ft deep and the wind is blowing better than 20 kts. It is not too much effort to pull.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I used many anchors on my boats since 1967 but by far the best is the Fortress FX-7. It weighs 4 pounds and is rated for boats 16 to 27 feet.
It digs in faster and deeper than any anchor I have ever had. A local lake where we boat a lot has a very hard bottom and the danforth 8 pound anchor would many times drag and not dig in right away. Ofcourse when they drag they can be pulled under a root or bank of rocks and make very hard to get back up. The Fortress digs in right away without dragging.

We decided to try one because the Wife does not like to drive the boat up on anchor when it very foggy so she would have to pull the anchor. Well with a 8 pound anchor and 5 feet of chain it was all she could do to pull it in. Even with gloves it would hurt her hands. also when it came up a lot of the time it would have a big clump of mud on the anchor.

We got the Fortress FX-7 4 pound Aluminum anchor with 2 feet of chain. First time the wife had to pull it I drove up on the anchor and the wife pulled it off the bottom. She then indicatided that I did not attach it right because it broke off and she nearly fell over backwords. I explained that was impossible as I connected every thing right as she was pulling in the line. When it got to the surface she could not belive the anchor was still connected and it came up clean with no mud.

It not a cheap anchor by any means but worth every penny. I still keep a second anchor, one of the 2 8 pound Danforth we use to use but have never used anything but the Fortress since. They sell them here at aboats.

The Fortress is Anodized Aluminum Alloy Finish. It will not rust and the slick finish means it usually comes up clean. The flutes are sharpend to make it dig in fast. Also the Shank is tapered to allow it to dig in deep.
Go to the site and click on Anchor Test and you can see the Navy tests an the Fortress won in every test. Also several boating Mag have tested and reached the same results.

One thing about the Frotress you need to learn is how to set. The Fortress is very light and takes a little longer to get down. You can not just come up to your spot and put engine in reverse and lower the anchor. The light anchor will sail in front of the boat like a fishing lure and not get down to the bottom. Instead you come to you spot and put the engine in reverse until you have some sternway. Then take the motor out of gear and lower the anchor until it settels on the bottom. Then put engine in reverse and pay out line for the scope you want. When have line out you want take the engine out of gear and tie off the anchor. Then can put the engine in reverse and set if you want or just let the boat drift back and set. Some people have a problem with this. You can add more chain if you want it to get down faster but it add a lot of weight.

We actually use the fact that it is light and will sail up off the bottom to our advantage. One Beach where we go and anchor with the stern into the beach and have a bow anchor to keep boat off the sand we tie off the amount of line we want out on the bow. We have our anchor line marked at places for different length. This stop 75 feet is the perfect scope. I always had trouble dropping the anchor at the exact right spot. So we put the anchor on the bow and tie off at 75 feet. We go out pretty deep and put the engine in reverse and lower the anchor. The anchor sails off the bottom and we back into the beach. When near I kill the motor and raise and step off the stern on to the beach with a stern line. Attach the line the stern line and get back on the boat. Then anchor has settled on the bottom so just tighten and it will dig in fast. This get the boat right where we want it with the right amount of line out. Use the stern line to set the distance off the sand and pull tight with the bow anchor line.

Anyway in my opinion no better anchor at any price.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/fortress_features_benefits.html

http://www.fortressanchors.com/fortress_anchor_guide.html

eric47

Recruit
Spray on bedliner

Spray on bedliner

Sometimes back I got my truck sprayed on with Spray on bedliner of Qwikliner.It took only few seconds to set & the quality of finish is aeesome.I will definitely on recommends qwikliner bedliners. :)

EDIT: this thread has nothing to do with bedliners.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spray on bedliner

Re: Spray on bedliner

i use a 7 lb fortress type with 5 feet of chain, on my boats. 23 ft Chris Craft 230 deckboat. 4800 lbs.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use a 6lb Sea-cure anchor for my flats boat, it's been the best anchor I've ever had.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another possible good option to look at is Richter. Also requires less chain. Doesn't take up much storage space. Excellent holding power. Easy to retrieve. Reasonably priced. I think they have their own website you can Google.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

the question that should be asked is what type of bottom are you anchoring in? mud, muck, weeds, marl, rocks, sand? What type of current? The links below explain a little bit about the different types and how to anchor if you can get you hands on "Chapman piloting - seamanship and small boat handling" will give you good insight on what you need.
jamie

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...29414&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

boatist covered it pretty well; our boat is a 23' cruiser.
i use a #13 super hooker with 4' 3/8 chain and 300' 1/2 rope off the bow.

i have 2 FX-7 fortresses with 3' 3/8 chain and 150' rope for each corner of the stern.
the reason for the fortresses on the stern is to double them for sand pins when we beach and it easier to carry them on the beach and 150' of rode is plenty for this.
that way the heavier super hooker stays in the bow anchor locker.

Nandy

Commander

idrownworms, got it right. The best anchor is the one built to hold in your specific bottom type. That might be more than one type of achor that will be suitable, but that will be the first question to answer. You might also have different types of bottom depending on where you boat, but generally all bottoms tend to be the same for a determine region. Depending on the general conditions that you see you can then think about the scope and how long will be that chain tha you will use, or if you use any....

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 2?

I'd get 2 anchors.
Genuine Danforth Steel #16
22# Claw

7/16" 3 strand nylon, no chain.

more here