Need help finding parts for my engine

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok, its a mercury 2stroke 90hp engine.

serial # OB275426

I need help finding a starter, rectifier, the 3 coil packs? I think thats what they are (they are to the immediate left of the starter and stacked vertically with large leads linking the three), and the water pump impeller and whatever other parts I need to replace when I have the lower end off to replace the impeller.

I dont want to buy these parts retail due to the $$$ I'd like to find them on ebay or a really nicely discounted online seller if possible. I just need help finding the part # ranger I can go through on these parts as I'm just having a hell of a time cross referencing this stuff...very new to buying boat engine parts versus car engine parts...

thanks for any help you guys can give me.

P.S. I've also heard of a red rectifier setup that is supposed to be better than the OEM black ones??

stackz

Re: Need help finding parts for my engine

the spark has always been weak and with the amount of corrosion on the coil posts I just dont trust them anymore.

plus the engine was under water at one point so I'm gremlin hunting mode.

Laddies

Banned

OK, if their in that bad of shape I understand but I doubt that the reason for weak spark you need to use a DVA and find out where the low voltage originates.

stackz

I'll post a pic if I have to but do you know what the biggish box on the upper rear starboard side of the engine?? I think its the ignition module but not sure. Its a metal board with a sealed plastic side and several rubber tipped connections coming out of it. Just trying to ID the different things on the engine at this point.

edit: oh yeah, when I look up parts here on the marine store...in the list it always just says "& up" what the hell does that mean??

edit 2: ebay #170245871844 I think this crosses with the starter you pointed out to me earlier?? I just put in one of the part #'s from the listing in ebay and it gave me this which crosses with that part #. $109 shipped saves me $80 to buy other parts. one year warranty but I'm just going to buy the starter rebuild kit off here later when I get some more money and rebuild my old starter as a spare.

Laddies

Banned

Yes, thats a ign. module in marine terms it's the switch box. I don't have a clue how long their out of stock parts take but most of the numbers on this site that start with 18- can be purchased by that number through NAPA or any auto parts store that carries Prime Line parts. There are many plces out there that the parts can be bought at savings once you establish the part numbers and there are OEM numbers plus Sierra and Mallery on this site.

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a starter-- http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=180720&gd_row=43&**********=057488476
Here's a rectifier-- http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=334699&gd_row=79&**********=057488476
Coils must be purchaced at a Mercury dealer I believe, what makes you think you need 3 coils I have not installed that many on all the 90s both 3 and 6 cyls in my life.

The magnets on all 3 of my coils were fractured, one of them into many pieces. Didn't seem to effect the performance of the motor, but I just changed them b/c I'm not a big fan of unpredictable problems out on the water. Don't blame you for changing them but doubt its causing a "weak" spark. It's pretty much all or nothing with sparks on these motors.

stackz

ok, I'm confused on something and maybe its just because the catalog on this site hasnt been updated?? I dunno.

anyway, on here, the impeller kit for my engine comes back as 18-3213 which is out of stock. it shows 18-3214 as being for a different engine.

on boatfix.com when I search in the cooling section and bring up the pdf of their catalog...it gives me 18-3214 and also gives 18-3213 as not being found.

they have the same impeller by itself listed as iboats does so at least that part matches up.

then when I put in 18-3214 in their manufacturer part # search...it gives 3 results.

first one is discontinued and the other two are an impeller repair kit and then a impeller kit. only difference is the last one, the impeller kit, has a D on the end of the part # and costs like $5 more yet isnt listed in the pdf pages so you get no picture of whats included.

are either of these a match for my engine or not?? did sierra update part #'s and thats why 3213 is out of stock on here and iboats just hasnt updated their cross references??

I just dont know and dont want to buy the wrong parts or an imcomplete kit since I want to completely go through the impeller area and be done with it.

stackz

ok, what is this part? there's 3 of them and I cant seem to find them in the catalog under anything?

DSCN3069.JPG

stackz

I've got a manual for the engine...just cant find the damn thing.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If ya need coils or power pack pm me ,have boxes full of em.

Attachments

• merccoils.JPG
    merccoils.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 0

stackz

ok, found my manual by sheer accident while I was working on one of my mustangs this weekend.

after looking through it. It appears the top solenoid is for trim up, middle is for trim down, and lower is for the starter. I know the top two solenoids work since i can actually trim the engine up and down (makes sense to me). I dont have a multimeter right now so the quickest way to test the starter solenoid (in my mind) is to simply swap it with the trim down solenoid. If the engine then still trims down...then the starter solenoid works and obviously the trim down solenoid that I just moved to the starter position would work as well.