Volvo SX - Yoke seal seepage

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I vaguely remembering someone writing about this (Don, I think), saying that this seemed to be a common problem with the seal on the yoke shaft in a Volvo SX. I was hoping to dig into this a bit.

I pulled my outdrive off the other day to finish my winterization. (I do all of the water related stuff at the end of the year, along with oil changes and fogging, and wait until near spring to do the outdrive, not sure why, but that's the way it works). Anyway, I looked into the bellows and in the pleats of the bellows, there is a little bit of gear oil sitting in there. The total amount is probably more than a teaspoon, but less than a tablespoon. Its pure gear oil.

This is the third year that I've had the boat, each year there has been about the same amount of oil in there. It was the same when I bought the boat and replaced the bellows and U-joints.

There is not a spot of rust on the yokes or the U-joints. They are pretty well covered with a thin layer of oil and flung off u-joint grease.

I'm just trying to understand if I'm looking at the beginning of a problem, or all of the SX's tend to do this and its no problem, or all of the SX's do this right before they eat up the input bearing or something equally bad.

Reading the factory manuals, it appears that the seal replacement for the sake of a little oil seepage is a complex task.

Any advice?

Thanks, johnbo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX - Yoke seal seepage

It's not that big a deal, but I have done a number of them.
One thing that causes that leak is being overfull.
Check the oil with the dipstick fully threaded into the cap. The oil level should be near the top of the flat on the dipstick. NEVER Over.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo SX - Yoke seal seepage

Thanks Don,

I'll double check tomorrow on the fluid level. I've not yet drained the fluid. I think that I ran the dip stick in till it was seated, I'm usually pretty careful, but I'll check.

There is at least one machine in garage that has the dip stick resting on the top of the threads for a valid reason, hopefully, I didn't confuse them.

Thanks, johnbo