1956 Fisherman 5.5hp?

grey

Cadet
Hello. I just found the thing. It looks rough on the outside but inside the case looks new. Although it was stored inside, some paint is missing.

My first question is how to fix the throttle handle. It wont turn. (Maybe there is a trick, like pull out and turn but I dont think so.) I think I will have to take apart the tiller handle. Is that a good idea? It is sticking in the part that folds up - tiller handle that says "start-shift-fast". The engine side is loose. I can feel play there.

Next, the tank has rust inside. Is it fixable ?

The serial # is 5512-xxxx

Thanks. Sorry if my terminology is not correct.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Fisherman 5.5hp?

You will have to dis-assemble the tiller handle. The aluminum gear/shaft would corrode where it goes through the bushing next to the gear, and the aluminum handle half would corrode around the outside of the same bushing. Clean all the crud out of it and grease it up and it will work fine.

Unless it is like the one I just found that the tiller handle halves are bent. Never saw one like that before and it took me awhile to realize why I couldn't get it to work.

grey

Cadet

Thanks.
It doesnt look like a big job, but you never know what might come unsprung...

Are these old motors painted or powder-coated?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

painted. i would make sure it has good compression, before spending a cent on it.

wbeaton

Commander

Also, consider getting a service manual. Your motor is likely going to take a lot of work, time and money. It'll be worth it in the end.

grey

Cadet

My posts are getting lost.

The aluminum gear/shaft would corrode where it goes through the bushing next to the gear, and the aluminum handle half would corrode around the outside of the same bushing
It is really stuck beyond belief. I thought the aluminum handle was the bushing. I will let it soak awhile
Also, consider getting a service manual. Your motor is likely going to take a lot of work, time and money. It'll be worth it in the end.
I would like to download one....
i would make sure it has good compression, before spending a cent on it.
What do you consider good compression. And is it okay to pull the starter cord without being in water?

I plan to get this handle loose and try to start it. That is the small engine way, but out boards might have quirks. This is the first outboard i have fiddled with.

Thank you for the help.

wbeaton

Commander

Was this machine used in salt water? If you just can't get the tiller arm free you can just replace it with another. That tiller was used on several models right up into the 1980's. If you get a newer tiller make sure you get the gears with it.

Compression above 60 psi with less than 10% difference between cylinders is ok. Higher is better.

You can pull the rope all day just just run it out of water. Also, make sure the spark plugs are grounded when you do it or you'll run the risk of damaging the coils. However, they are probably shot since all original 1950's coils are.

I don't know if there is a manual available from download, but you can order a new one right here at iboats or possibly borrow one from your library.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Soak it all you want. Then when you get done with that, I'll tell you how to fix it.

There IS a bushing in there. Part number 302717 for 1956. I think it may have been changed to a different number (nylon) on newer ones.

Once you get the grip off and screws out, force the gear/shaft away from the handle half far enough to slide the brass washer past the web in the handle half. (Do that so the groove pin in the shaft will go past the web). Now use a suitable tool (hammer) to knock the gear/shaft part way through the bushing. That will expose the corroded area. If you are real lucky, you can clean the corrosion off of the shaft and grease it and slide it back together and reassemble everything. If not so lucky, you will have to disassemble it the rest of the way and deal with the bushing. I've only done about a bazillion of those things.

grey

Cadet

Thanks Admiral. I was afraid to tap or bend anything in there. Everthing looks highly breakable.

But working carefully with good lighting, I followed your direction. After 5 minutes it is cleaned up and working. (I still cant believe how siezed that that thing was) It seems to be okay for now. I will file the shaft to undersize a bit. I guess they use white grease of some sort.

Thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm not too proud that I sold a ton of that white OMC Type A grease. It really wasn't that good of stuff. The waterproof marine greases we have nowadays are much better.

grey

Cadet

Was this machine used in salt water? .

Probably not. I think a dog or cat or raccoon has been using it for toilet. That probably counts as salt water. One side has corrosion eating ther paint. The other side looks new. Also inside there is a sticker from an marine mechanic shop in Grand Rapids Michigan, I think. Probably not been to sea water.

.[/QUOTE]

Rick.

Captain

Just to clarity, WBEATON meant to say...Just DON'T run it out of water. Don't want you getting any wrong ideas. It would be a good practice to spray some fogging oil through the plug holes before you pull the rope. It is probably very dry in the cylinders. Good luck. Rick.