1975 70 hp motor in pieces

00ferret

Cadet
I recently took apart my 1975 70 hp johnson outboard to replace the exhaust/head gaskets. I am now trying to put it back together but need to know if im doing everything right. I have come a long way to mess up now, do I need any sealants or anything? Is there a specific torque the screws need to be and if so what are they? I'm trying to get it back in the water before spring and would really appreciate any help.

Re: 1975 70 hp motor in pieces

You need a factory service manual (Ebay), all torque specs are therein. With a new head gasket you apply a thin film of grease (bearing grease, e.g.) on both sides of the gasket's aluminum rim, then torque the head. Coat the bolts with oil beforehand so that you get better readings. With exhaust gaskets it's best to use what used to be called 1000 Sealer, a 3M product. Ask at local OMC dealer (if they were in business at least as far back as 1990). Must retorque the motor after running 10-15 min. and letting it cool.

I recently took apart my 1975 70 hp johnson outboard to replace the exhaust/head gaskets. I am now trying to put it back together but need to know if im doing everything right. I have come a long way to mess up now, do I need any sealants or anything? Is there a specific torque the screws need to be and if so what are they? I'm trying to get it back in the water before spring and would really appreciate any help.

Last edited: