Restoring Pontoon Deck

MLStrickland

Recruit
I have removed the carpet from the plywood deck. I would like to replace it with a good non skip painted surface rather than recarpet. What type paint should I use after sanding the plywood? I use my pontoon for fishing mainly and want to be able to wash the deck with a hose after catching a slimey catfish.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Restoring Pontoon Deck

the easiest is 3 coats of quality Flat oil based paint. adding non slip sand to the 3rd cost. a satin or high gloss will cause bad reflections, blinding you. gray or tan, depending on your decor. this also make for easy touch ups in wear area.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Have it sprayed with a lighter color bedliner.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

definitely a lighter color to keep it cool on your feet

ezrollin

Seaman

I removed the old carpet,sanded the deck and applied a primer.Then got one gal of white exterior polyurethane deck paint and one gal of darker gray,mix them for a lighter shade of gray.Save a small container of each for a spatter coat that will give you a non slip surface.That grit stuff that you can apply to some coatings will hold dirt and be hard to clean.A paint surface is not fancy but is easy to clean and maintain and works great for a fishing toon.