Yamaha 225 BET Rebuild

Magnet6x6

Cadet
Hi every one my name's Olly and this is a first post so please be gentle with me :)

I have a pair of Yamaha 222 BET OBMs that came with a boat the I bought. The engines are in desperate need of of some TLC which may well involve a rebuild. I've had numerous people look at them and charge me accordingly and they remain as problematic as ever to the point where I haven't used the boat in two years. The main dealer is only interested in selling me new replacements and their work so far has been very expensive & unsatisfactory

In an ideal world I'd simply replace them with new or used and well maintained but the budget simply won't allow for it so I need to find an alternative way to bring them back into service.

I have the workshop but what I'm really after is a step by step rebuild guide from some one who's been there and done that.

I'd really appreciate any information and pearls of wisdom that the forum has to offer.

Many thanks

Olly

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 225 BET Rebuild

First off welcome to the forum !! Lots of good info here.

When it comes down to your rebuild there really isn't anything better than a shop manual. I don't mean a Clymer or Seloc - I mean an OEM issue. They can be found at times on ebay but to expedite your program order direct from a dealer.
Find someone as close to you as possible and build a good working relationship with them. They will in all probability be hearing from you a bunch.
As far as trying to do a complete rebuild over the keyways - not a good chance it will happen. Just too much involved. That's where that manual comes in.
Keep us up to speed on your progress and take lots of pictures.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

welcome to Iboats.
first issue is by the BET designator usually these are not US market motors so be aware a lot of US posters on this forum ,while well meaning, have never seen a non-US market Yamaha outboard.
pictures with air boxes and rear plastic covers removed will be invaluable.

second do the motors need rebuilding and has salt water corrosion negated a rebuild.
remember aluminum corrodes.
no sense in boring and rebuilding castings that will fail rapidly.
so have a compression test done at a minimum better a leak down test.
this will give an indication of can the cyliners seal gases.
so shoot us some pics and some numbers and we can give an educated estimate.

Magnet6x6

Cadet

welcome to Iboats.
first issue is by the BET designator usually these are not US market motors so be aware a lot of US posters on this forum ,while well meaning, have never seen a non-US market Yamaha outboard.
pictures with air boxes and rear plastic covers removed will be invaluable.

second do the motors need rebuilding and has salt water corrosion negated a rebuild.
remember aluminum corrodes.
no sense in boring and rebuilding castings that will fail rapidly.
so have a compression test done at a minimum better a leak down test.
this will give an indication of can the cyliners seal gases.
so shoot us some pics and some numbers and we can give an educated estimate.

Rodbolt, Gcboat thank you for warm welcome and sage advice.
I've managed to snag an original manual so that's a start. I'll be sure to document the process but it might take a while to gather steam as I have to put the finishing touches to another project. I'm actually looking forward to it but I'm a little nervous as outboards are new territory for me. Thanks again.