Prop for my larson cruiser

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone,
I have a 1989 Larson Contempra cruiser that I am almost finished restoring, and will be getting in the water this April. I was just wondering if anyone knows what pitch propeller would be good for this boat. I know this is a tough question to answer but I thought maybe someone knows what Larson put on these boats new. It is 30' long, 10'-6" beam, about a 14 degree deadrise with twin Merc 260 hp 5.7L motors with Alpha One Drives.
Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop for my larson cruiser

Ayuh,... Do you have props Now,..??

If not,..
Got a friend you could borrow from,..??

Otherwise it's purely a Shot in the Dark......

My 1st Guess Shot would be a pair of 19"s, or maybe 17"s.....

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, sounds good. I have one Stiletto 19 and will get another one, I was thinking that a 21 would be too big.

Thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Boat that size, 19" might be too big. You really need to find a place that does prop exchange. Let you try a couple and buy the ones that work best.

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I was just starting to think that. There is a place here that does the exchange thing, I am going to see them soon. I have a friend that has 17" props on his boat that is similar weight and size and they work well, so I was thinking that may be my size.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

4 blades are great on cruisers, but will typically lower pitch by another 1"

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Indeed no performance spec's ...but a 15or 16 pitch four blade would not surprise me at all,,,ss of course..:p

180shabah

Rear Admiral

TG - you gonna invest in a Torque-shift prop to put behind that "new" 4.3.

Of course that is if you can find one(or enough parts to put one together), I think Bondo played it smart when he bought spares a few years ago.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I've got 4 of them now,...
Well,... Actually, there's enough parts for 3 Working 1s anyways....:)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

TG - you gonna invest in a Torque-shift prop to put behind that "new" 4.3.

Of course that is if you can find one(or enough parts to put one together), I think Bondo played it smart when he bought spares a few years ago.

That gonna be another adventure..but ill bet i end up with a 23-24 supported with trim tabs...

23 @ 5000 would net me 61
24 @ 5000 nets 63

Current is 21@57

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the replies, I finally have the boat in the water now with 19" pitch stilettos and it planes nicely. The trim tabs help, since last Friday I had 6 extra people on board and it got on plane just fine. I have yet to take it to full throttle though, I just past the 6 hour mark on the new engines and drives. I'm impressed with the performance though, the boat with full fuel, water and 6 people weighs in at around 12,000 lbs!