Shift cable for omc

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet
Sorry had to start my own thread. I know people not here but other sites complain about bandwidth when starting new threads,, sorry

Hey all

New to your site, Thanks for making this place available, I even used the search button and came up with this old thread with kind of the same problem I have, I recently bought a 25ft Pursuit with an 5.7L which is the 800 stringer #982436. My shift cable going on the lower unti is leaking water from a tear in the rubber. I was trying to find the cable but was unable to determine which one I have/need. The housing on it is #909603, I found someone who has an #910460 with the cable #982802. so I guess what I am asking would the cable #982802 be the same cable I am looking for my unit? or is there another cable for the #909603 housing.

ps, I did take the lower unit apart and my shift has the plunger assist shaft #981859

Appreciate it

JustALawnGuy, Steve

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Shift cable for omc

Ok, it was for your benefit to start your own thread and you could include a link to the old thread.

What you have sir is the rarest of the stringer series drive. Was only made i believe for 3 years.

Now to your problem, seeing as it is the rarest it also is the hardest to find parts for. And i don't have to tell you OMC has been out of business for a very long time.

Here is a link that will take you to a web site the page is for my drive setup, Left side of page is a omc link click on it, and pull up your year and drive setup and the diagram will give you the correct numbers.

If your lucky they MAY have what you need.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...on=group&group=17&GroupList=17,18,19,20,21,22

Good luck !

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

Appreciate it, nah they don't go back to 80, I will keep digging or I will just have to find another unit one of these days

Thanks

JustaLawnGuy

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

How can I find the part number for this cable? If I could find it I would know more what I am looking for, I have an OMC service manual for this boat mentions the cable but never the part number for it... I now know why I got a good deal on this boat

JustaLawnGuy

chiefalen

Captain

Sir was not a good deal, and you are now finding out why. It is so rare that drive that i have only seen one, and refused to help the guy with it. Electric shift i did a few. Maybe the guy in Canada in the old thread can help you call him.

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

I found out the number for the cable 982785, hey at least I am getting closer to something, don't know what the something is but its closer

JustaLawnGuy

WizeOne

Commander

...What you have sir is the rarest of the stringer series drive. Was only made i believe for 3 years.

4 years chief, '78, '79, '80 and '81. It was only one year less than the full mechanical drive which started in '82 and ended midway thru '86.

I assume he is talking about the hydro-mechanical unit. He did not give the year.

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

I pulled it out and found it just on the wall of the transom if only stamped 4" forward could had of seen it without pulling it. I didn't want to pull it until I had the correct cable(pull it apart today, 2 weeks get the parts in, but on another project by then):D just didn't think it was this hard to find the parts for it. just sold my pontoon with a vro 70 johnson it was new and could go anywhere to get parts, but this thing,

JustaLawnGuy

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

4 years chief, '78, '79, '80 and '81. It was only one year less than the full mechanical drive which started in '82 and ended midway thru '86.

I assume he is talking about the hydro-mechanical unit. He did not give the year.

oh my, I thought that was the 1st thing I did, typing all the numbers I have and I never read back though it its a 1980 pursuit, which I guess is the original omc outdrive

JustaLawnGuy

WizeOne

Commander

Where on the cable is the rip JLG? If there is room to wrap it, there are many sealing tapes available. It's not as if a patch would need to contain any pressure.

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

it is slice or just looks cut out in a 1/4" section right before it goes into the shift housing, we had some epoxy rubber making stuff that was put on and it just didn't work, I think the flex of the hose at that angle puts pressure on it and it wont hold, make since

JustaLawnGuy

WizeOne

Commander

Is this inside the upper unit?

Maybe you could wrap it with electrical tape, then coat the tape with a compound called called Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape. Of course you would have to make sure there was no trace of oil on it.

Although I have never done this on an OMC shift cable, I have done it sucessfully on other cables where the outer wrap has shrunk, pulled back and exposed the inner casing. The tape keeps the compound from entering the cableway.

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

Is this inside the upper unit?
is in between both the upper and lower, if I had to pick I would say more upper as it goes on top of the lower unit up into the upper. this is also were the gear oil is.

JustaLawnGuy

WizeOne

Commander

is in between both the upper and lower, if I had to pick I would say more upper as it goes on top of the lower unit up into the upper. this is also were the gear oil is.

JustaLawnGuy

Ok, but if it leaking water, is there any access try what I suggested?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there is a type of tape available that you peel the backing and stretch it before you wrap it, I used it on a steering cable for an outboard and it lasted for years ,totally waterproof, I got it from a friend who was a siginal maintainer for a railway, it should be available at a electrical supply store

JustaLawnGuy

Cadet

I will go out today and see what I can find, if it was a few inches up more I would try to have overlap it with a hose,

Thanks all

JustaLawnGuy

chiefalen

Captain

Wizeone, Dan thanks, i was hoping you would jump in and maybe Howard also.

I called the guy near me no cable. I wonder theres a rubber dipping, solution dries nice. It's called i think liquid tape.

WizeOne

Commander

....I wonder theres a rubber dipping, solution dries nice. It's called i think liquid tape.

Yeah cheif, one of them is called Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape. I think I got it at a Napa Store.

But IMHO, if there is a cut that wants to flap or if any cable material is missing, you should wrap it with electrical tape to tie it down before you apply the liquid tape.