Tandem Axle Trailer Tire Scuffing

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
I park my Boat in a tricky spot next to my house and I am finding that the wheels scuff a lot as I am moving the boat into its spot. Does this hurt the bearings or tires to be scuffing like they do. Also, when I pull up my driveway one of the two tires on either side lifts off of the ground, does this hurt the one axle that is supporting the whole load for a few seconds until the other tire comes back down. It is a steep driveway and I just don't want to hurt anything.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tandem Axle Trailer Tire Scuffing

I've seen the same things done A LOT over the years but never seen any negative consequenses of doing so. The rear axle supporting the load for a few seconds isn't hurting anything. The scuffing isn't a big deal either just make sure that your tires are properly inflated so they don't fold the side walls over as much. I have seen it damage rims tho but this was in an extreme case where the trailer was overloaded and had cheap steel rims on it.

But you should have nothing to worry about other than when you're going boating again;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. it does add additonal were to the tires.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. it does add additonal were to the tires.

Yeah but you'd have to do it A LOT to sacrifice any measureable amount of tire life. Or be doing it on VERY rough concrete.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Lifting one axle or the other off the ground when parking or trailering places 100% of the load on the axle other axle so yes -- it can do damage. But whether or not that happens depends on how close the maximum load capacity the rig is. If it is at 80% or more of capacity, you would be overloading one axle by a significant amount. Blowing a tire, bending springs, or even bending the frame is a possibility.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Boy, you must have one steep drive way to lift an axle like that.

We have a couple of ramps around here that are really steep and do that to my trailer. Pain in the butt getting the boat back on due to the difference in angle but the trailer is none the worse for wear because of it.

I run radials on the boat trailer. The radials seem to handle the "scuffing" a bit better than the bias tires on my wife?s horse trailer. Either way it shouldn?t be a problem. Just keep your eyes out for broken cords in the sidewalls.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Does this trailer have torsion suspension rather than conventional leaf springs?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Does this trailer have torsion suspension rather than conventional leaf springs?

Both types of suspensions are limited in the amount of angle they can compensate. The torsion suspension will compensate for a it steeper angle but not enough in a lot of places.

Around here it's not unusual to see a ramp pushing 45 degree if not more. My trailer is a little more 20 ft. from the hitch to the front axle, almost 28 ft. overall. The rear axle comes off the ground and stays off as soon as I cross the crest of the ramp.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both types of suspensions are limited in the amount of angle they can compensate. The torsion suspension will compensate for a it steeper angle but not enough in a lot of places.

Around here it's not unusual to see a ramp pushing 45 degree if not more. My trailer is a little more 20 ft. from the hitch to the front axle, almost 28 ft. overall. The rear axle comes off the ground and stays off as soon as I cross the crest of the ramp.

LOL I hate to burst ur bubble but even the banks on Datona's banks are only 35degrees....reason being that they couldn't get the dirt to stay up at any more of an incline...On a 45degree its not even possible to walk up it.

Again hate to burst ur bubble most ramps are only 7-12degrees. They always seem way steeper than they actually are.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tortion axles and the driveway about a 25 degree incline.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Again hate to burst ur bubble most ramps are only 7-12degrees. They always seem way steeper than they actually are.

I get your point but hear me out.

Mind you, these are not your typical ramps. We can get up to 3' of tide elevation and the places that have very limited space can only accommodate the changes in water by having very step ramps. They are little more than concrete dumped down the side of a slope to accommodate backing a trailer over the edge. Even at low tide you might have 6? of ramp exposed.

We also have several what I could call floating ramps. They are constructed of what looks to be heavy gauge tubing. Look similar to a metal farm gate. You back the trailer on to them and they sink allowing for you to launch and retrieve a boat. Again, not intended for anything other than the back end of the trailer.

Ok, calculated the angle using length of my boat and the depth of the water when loading on the trailer. I come up with a minimum of 21 degrees. I say a minimum because I'm calculating the angle using the depth at the back of the boat and I don?t know how deep the water is forward of this position.