classic 50 problem with spark, HELP!!

raray1221

Seaman Apprentice
as i posted on here earlier, i was out on the water and the power of my outboard cut in half, usually with a little time it kicks back on and works the same again. today i was close enough to put it on the trailor with the problem still acting up. brought it home and the bottom two (out of four) spark plugs were not sparking at all. can anyone give AANY advice on where to start with this issue. it is greatly appreciated. thanks so much.

Laddies

Banned
Re: classic 50 problem with spark, HELP!!

Switch the red and red/white and the blue and the blue/white wires on the switch box and if the spark changes cyls then the stator is bad. If it stays the same switch the 1&2 trigger wires with 3&4 if it switches cyls the trigger is bad and if neither test changes anything the box is bad.

iang

Seaman Apprentice

Another thing to check,not sure which model you have but if you have a bank of four ignition coils,remove them and undernieth you will see a thin earth wire.I have had these making bad contact or even broken but that will spark at higher RPM by arcing.If this fails,give us the serial number and I can give you a full test procedure.

raray1221

Seaman Apprentice

i hooked up a spark detector and it turns out it is only number three that is not sparking. number 4 was hark to reach and i probbaly didnt see it. anyway i switched the wire on three and four and then 4 wouldnot spark and three would. does this mean that i need a new power pack? and im not sure of the serial number. also im not sure what a stator is. thanks so much guys for all your help.

raray1221

Seaman Apprentice

also i am not very comfortable switching wires on the switchbox or powerpack because i dont actually know what any of them do. i have heard switching them can burn it up. and i am going to look for a used powerpack instead of new for the price difference, is that a bad idea?

Laddies

Banned

The only thing that will cause the lose of spark on 1 cyl. is the box or coil and related wiring again you can swap the lead wires to the coils to tell. You can either swap wires or get a DVA and I will give you the test. Yes, you can burn things up if you don't know which wires to swap but by doing only the ones you are told to you will not damage anything.

raray1221

Seaman Apprentice

would you mind giving me the test. and i dont belive it is a coil because when switched the #3 would spark. also could this possibly be a trigger. although i am not sure how to test or know, and what is the best way to go about buying a used box

Laddies

Banned

A bad trigger effects 2 cyls.
scan0003.jpg