Volvo 7.4 GI missing - Riser Problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Took the boat out last weekend and it was running really rough, popping and missing, sounded really bad... I took it to the shop and they told me there is a "Dead Miss" on two the of the cylinders. He is saying that the problem is "probably" the riser (they did pull one off and said it looked really bad). Basically water is getting in the cylinder. They also mentioned that there is a chance that the manifolds could be bad too. Does this sound right?

If it does I will soon be in the market for some risers and possibly manifolds. Anybody on this board in the industry that can get good pricing? I have search the web but thought maybe someone needs to make a sale and can get me a better deal.

Thanks for any input
Aaron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 7.4 GI missing - Riser Problem???

Yes, it's very possible. If you boat in salt water and the manifolds are over 5 or 6 years old, it could very well be the problem.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

yes; it sound right. if you havent all ready; drain your manifolds and hope you havent stuck a ring or worse.
check your oil and hopefully it isnt milky.

at this point you need to make sure there isnt water laying on piston and causing more damage.

get the plugs out of the bad cylinders and get some pb blaster down carb and into the cylinders

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah, I boat in salt water... Do you guys know the likelihood that if the riser is bad so is the manifold? They did pull the plugs, and check the compression and that all checked out, I checked the oil before we took it out last time and it looked fine.

Bondo

Staff member

yeah, I boat in salt water... Do you guys know the likelihood that if the riser is bad so is the manifold?

Ayuh,....

The Odds are,.. You were probably a Heartbeat away from Catastrophic Failure,...
Of the Motor.....

Both Manifolds,+ the Risers Rot...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They usually leak at the gasket between the upper and lower. The material just corrodes away. If the risers are shot, you can bet the manifolds are in the exact same condition..

Bondo

Staff member

Do you guys know of any place I can get a better deal?

Ayuh,... Have you Looked here at iboats,..??..??

Somebody's gotta pay the Rent,.......;)

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Of coarse I checked here...A little over $1400 plus shipping. It's a lot of dough, I need to find the best deal so I still have gas money this summer.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

one thing to consider is that there arnt near as many BB chevys around as small blocks and there arnt as many volovo BB as mercuisers
this might drive the parts price higher.
this is strickly a guess on my part!!

nimrod69

Seaman

STAY AWAY from GLM's (voice of experience here).
Osco's may be OK.

chiefalen

Captain

What i understood from a post a little time ago they have a price match guaranty here.

I might be wrong, but osco i never had a problem with. GLM people here have had all kinds of problems with.

I feel your pain but you got to pull them, look at them, and then bite the bullet, and maybe replace them, before you have water in the motor, then your lookin at many thousand dollars of repairs.

Good luck !

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info, so does anybody know if the Merc manifold will fit the Volvo?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info, so does anybody know if the Merc manifold will fit the Volvo?

as no one else is answered you i'm going out on limb.

the manfolds will fit the motor. you are correct the blocks are the same

where you will run into trouble is trying to get the risers to mach your Y pipe and exhaust on your volvo

i dont think volvo and mercuirser would use the same set. from the pictures i have seen they are different but i havent seen a 454 volvo in the flesh.

i dont see it being a direct swich or they would be advertised that way.

you could maybe adapt to you Y pipe set up but in the end being doable and practical are 2 different things.

if you find out different then let us know here because someone else might want to try also

sorry if this isnt helpfull to you.

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Jax,
After some more research the manifold will bolt up but you are exactly right that it will not line up to fit the actual pipes. The pipes could probably be modified but who knows how much extra work that will end up being. Back to the drawing board, I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out the $1200 bucks or so... Life sucks...anybody in the market for a Cobalt??? Thanks for the help guys.

Bondo

Staff member

I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out the $1200 bucks or so... Life sucks...

Ayuh,... Get used to it,.. You boat in Saltwater...

You'll be doing this Every 4 years, as long as you own a Boat...

Look at the Bright Side,... It Could be a $10,000.00 Motor....

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

maybe you should consider the swap to freshwater cooling so you could save the money in the llong run?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

maybe you should consider the swap to freshwater cooling so you could save the money in the llong run?

Fresh water cooling still runs raw water through the risers on all applications and the manifolds on most.

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This boat is too old for me to put any money into a closed cooling system. The next boat will have one for sure... Thanks for all the helpful information and if anyone looking through this can get me any kind of outstanding "insider" pricing please email me, I'll probably order everything up by this weekend. It's starting to get warm & I'm getting the boating ich, hopfully be back on the water by next weekend.
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.