New Alternator, a little confused...

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: New Alternator, a little confused...

No offense Chris, but based on your posts, it seems like you do not have a whole lot of experience working on inboards. Therefore I think it would be wise to have someone help you so you don't make any costly/dangerous mistakes. Hooking up an alternator is easy as is changing a fuse, however if you hook it up wrong, it can create a whole lot of problems.

Have a great day,

Rob.

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

I see where you are coming from, but I thought that was why this forum was here. I really can't justify paying someone hundreds of dollars to do something simple that I can just read a manual to fix or have someone give me some good instructions. In addition, I do have some good friends who have a lot of mechanical knowledge and experience but it is mostly on cars and I know that there are a lot of differences between working on car engines and boat engines in terms of safety. If it comes down to it I would be willing to take it to a boat mechanic, but I just have to get to the point where I know that I can't do it on my own. Thanks for any help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

On page 2 of the link Don posted you need to find the B+ feed. This wire should go back to the battery.With a meter check the wire(B+) in the harness for battery voltage. Then hook everthing back up and with the meter still on that post start the motor , you should see a voltage increase,this would be the alt charging .

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I have great news! It turns out there is a little sucker of a fuse attached to the starter solenoid that was blown. It probably happened sometime along the lines of doing all the work to the boat. Anyway, we changed out the 90 amp fuse and fired up the boat today and it ran great. (for now, haven't had a chance to take it out on the water). One thing I did notice is that the alternator heats up a good bit when the engine in running, is this unusual? Also wanted to let everyone know that we went through all the testing of the alternator, wiring etc. and that is how we got down to the fuse. Thanks for all the help on this issue. Time to have some fun.
Chris