Engine compartment on SX230 full of water!

suz

Recruit
Just got a call from a friend who doesn't have a computer at his lake place and asked me to write the forum for help!:eek: He hasn't been down at his dock for over a week and when he went down today, he noticed the platform was sitting low in the water. He uncovered the boat, saw water, then opened the engine compartment -- he said water is half way up the engines, but not up to the air intakes. Bilge pump will not run, so he's charging up a portable bilge pump he has to get the water out of the compartment. When it's out, should he try to start the boat? Get it towed to the dealer? Any suggestions that I can call in to him? And lastly, how likely is it that the boat engines are trashed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine compartment on SX230 full of water!

The first thing that has to happen is get the water out of the boat, then get the boat out of the water and drained completely.
Then, while still on a trailer, put the boat back in the water and LOOK for the leak.
Since the bilge pump was inop it could be nothing more than rain water and the decks drain into the bilge.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard suz!! We moved this thread up here as we were thinking like Don mentioned that finding the leak was the first issue. Also, need someone to respond with some Yammy Jetboat experience. I did an inspection on one of these recently and what a sweetheart. Great boat from what I can tell. I recall that the cylinder heads were actually fairly high in the engine compartment, so maybe you have gotten lucky. After figuring out the leak I think I'd start with an oil change to see if there is any evidence of any water there. If not, it may be safe to assume there is nothing in the cylinders other than condensation. Good luck!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get all the electrical dried out, hopefully the starter did not die. may have to clean all electrical connections. once dried out remove plugs and turn over by hand. if it got water into the block or cylinders, turn over with the starter could bend push rods, (voice of experience).