leaky through hull fitting?

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what i initially though was going to be a leak somewhere in the lower unit on the 3.0L MerCruiser I/O on my 05 22ft SunTracker looks like it is going to be a leak on the starboard side of the engine bay where the steering cables (i think) enter the engine bay. the though hull fitting looks like threaded PVC pipe with a rubber boot over it secured with zip ties. the fellow i'm getting the boat from says that it will leak at mild speeds but at WOT it won't, presumably as the boat rides a little higher?

is this an easy fix? there was a similar problem on one of my seadoo's that was a pretty easy $20 fix.

D

DJ

Re: leaky through hull fitting?

Unless something is broken, it doesn't sound that hard.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any idea where to find the replacement part online? thanks.

D

DJ

I am having a very difficult time visualizing what you are describing.

I would think Bass Tracker could help you out. They are still in business.

If it's a PVC pipe with an end cap, the hardware store is the place to go.

A picture would be worth a thousand words.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, i'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera yesterday. unfortunately, the boat is about 1.5 hrs away from me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it will have to be fixed, if it leaks at low speed it will leak when anchored. actually sound like a shift bellow, or as simple as a grommet.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it will have to be fixed, if it leaks at low speed it will leak when anchored. actually sound like a shift bellow, or as simple as a grommet.

it sits above the water line while sitting in the water. it looks like all the "stuff" from the helm goes into the engine bay here. i know that's not very specific, again, kicking myself for not bringing the camera.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

or the sealant around the through hull fitting itself. Since you don't know for sure what's leaking, we obviously don't know since we can't see your boat. If it is a rubber boot, then replace it. Boots are boots so anything that fits the fitting and the cable(s) will work. If it's a unique part and you can't find an aftermarket supplier, the dealer would be the source.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i finally found a I/O locally to take some pics. my boat is 75 miles away. this is a new '09 suntracker 25ft with the 3L merc I/O. the rubber tube that exits on the right of the engine bay that runs above the pontoon and then heads forward to the console is the one i've been trying to describe. this is the "new" design. my '05 has a small accordion type rubber boot that only makes it about halfway from the engine bay to the pontoon before the cables are exposed. i spoke with a service guy at the bass pro shop here in town. they are telling me i need a serial number off my boat before they can call tracker to see if they can order the "new" boot for my '05. the last pic is me shoving the lens of the little camera into one of the vent holes on the back of the pontoon to show just how far the "new" boot runs.

thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

If it was me I'd just buy a length of reinforced tubing the right diameter to clamp over the fitting on the engine bay. That's what it looks like they used in the pictures you posted. Depending on the diameter you may be able to find some at a hardware store, or a pool/spa store.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was wondering that myself. any idea how hard its going to be to disconnect the cables that feed through the tubing?

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same problem on my Crest with an I/O. On mine the water was coming in through the tubes, as water was being forced into the area above the toon where the tubing started. End up finding that a piece of aluminum was missing forward of the engine area on the inside of the toon allowing lots of water to be forced into the area above the toon(where the toon mounts to the floor framing). There is a lot of water being thrown around between the toons when at speed.

FullMetalPiglet

Recruit

I have this same problem. I have a 2006 suntracker 22 I/O. The leak is from the accordian style rubber boot because it has a slight tear in it. When under power water rushes over the boot. Water then enters into the enclosed engine compartment. The rubber boot is cheap ($22 from the dealer). To put the new boot on, the cable has to be disconnect from inside the engine compartment.

Question? How difficult is it to disconnect this cable inside the engine compartment where it ties into all the power steering compenents. The large silver nut has "caution" written all over it. I am pretty good at fixing things, but his is all new to me. Welcoming any thoughts.

Jeep Man

Commander

Weren't you chatting with beemunk a few days ago about the same problem on his Sun Tracker. Seems to be a common problem. I'm picking up my Sun Tracker in a couple of weeks but mine is an outboard.

FullMetalPiglet

Recruit

Weren't you chatting with beemunk a few days ago about the same problem on his Sun Tracker. Seems to be a common problem. I'm picking up my Sun Tracker in a couple of weeks but mine is an outboard.

I was not but do you have the link to that discussion?

Jeep Man

Commander

Sorry, it was jafo and beermunk. Thread was under beermunk about 10 days ago., under "brought her home tuesday morning". Similiar problem. You may want to PM beermunk.