homemade T top

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: homemade T top

I was thinking more like half round wooden beading but haven't found any yet.
I have pink foam, 2 sheets of whiteboard and a qt of water base contact cement, just need the edging.

If I put slots in one side of the foam I can induce a slight bend, once the whiteboard hits it the contact cement should hold it.

I didn't realize there was water based contact cement! That should work well. I'm interested in finding out how well the cement works and how well the foam and formica hold a curve. I like this, it sounds to be a quick build without all the finish work associated with a piece made from fiberglass (sanding, filling, fairing, gel coat or paint).

jonesg

Admiral

I didn't realize there was water based contact cement! That should work well. I'm interested in finding out how well the cement works and how well the foam and formica hold a curve. I like this, it sounds to be a quick build without all the finish work associated with a piece made from fiberglass (sanding, filling, fairing, gel coat or paint).

water based is in the green can,
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwares...ment/non-flam-contact-cement-tan--609729.aspx

I tried my notcher, it works good enough.
I'll weld it next if I can figga out how to weld.

Attachments

• boatresto010.jpg
    boatresto010.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boatresto012.jpg
    boatresto012.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

heres my first weld,
I've done practice beads but never stuck one peice to another,
hope I get the swing of it before I have to really do something.

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

erikgreen

Captain

Really, really hoping you ground off the zinc coating first.

If you didn't, you're lucky you're able to post.

You guys might want to start a new thread for this? The original was about someone else's top.

Erik

jonesg

Admiral

I used a Lincoln mig welder, flux core wire so there was spatter
I ground it to clean it up.
I think I'm gonna get a gas tank .

jonesg

Admiral

heres a neat way to make a top using formica as the mold, he used epoxy and a urethane foam core.

His method is simple, cut the basic shape from sheetrock, glue the formica to the sheetrock, its set in a cradle to induce the curve, add a lip around the edge, putty to make the curved edge, then just wax and start laying up.

http://www.casdvm.com/photos/Hardtop/

Really like his idea of making the elecs box integral with the top.
I'm still mulling it over.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, that's why I never weld galvanized.

To be clear on this, it's very, very dangerous. If you vaporize zinc in welding or preheat, very small amounts in your air are enough to cause heavy metal poisoning, and you can easily die the first time you do this.

Check out this link for a bit more info:

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

Erik
k

great tip there Erik, and even better link to demonstrate the effects of this dangerous substance.

As one who welded professionally for well over a decade, I can personally attest to just how bad this stuff is. this stuff should be treated just like Mercury, if you don't have the proper safety equipment (including adequate fume removal equipment and respirators or supplied air systems - dust-type masks are NOT good enough), stay away from it. Also, simply grinding the local area prior to welding is not enough, more than enough Zinc to harm you will remain on the steel.

A far better choice would be to use some nice cheap plain carbon steel pipe and then paint it with a good quality anti-corrosion paint.

Bondo

Staff member

I used a Lincoln mig welder, flux core wire so there was spatter
I ground it to clean it up.
I think I'm gonna get a gas tank .

Ayuh,.... Clean it Up,..?? Looks more like you Renoved, ALL of the weldment....

Shielding gas is Only good when always welding Indoors without any breeze....
I've got both,+ use self-shielding fluxcore 99% of the time...
Fluxcore is Much More forgiving about weld area cleanliness too...

jonesg

Admiral

Yeh well it was ugly, need to do a lot more,
the suns out for the second time in 5 weeks, gotta go.

evinrude-guy

Recruit

I know I may be a little late on this but I just came across this while searching for info on making a homemade T-Top......that is a really nice job.

buckeyboy I was wondering if you are still participating in this forum....I hope so.
My question is being that I live in RI also, where can you get that starboard you used for the top?