Florida get together May 15,16,17

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Florida get together May 15,16,17

Nauticus Inc. Special Smart Tabs $50.00 Bonus. Be one of the first three to show up at that park with Smart Tabs on you boat.

Conditions:
1/ boat must be used during the weekend.
2/ must send a Picture of the boat with the tabs installed.
3/ TD must sign certificate.

Iboatersgettogether2009.jpg

cribber

Lieutenant

NSBCraig The park is literally just minutes from shopping, gas, restaurants, and anything else you may need for a long weekend. Walmart is two lights south on 27 from the park and less than a mile. If you go north on 27 a couple of miles up on the left is my fave restaurant called Oakwood Smokehouse and grill. Best BBQ in town IMHO. Also if ya want a different view Lake Harris is 6 miles away with two places to launch. Venetian Cove has 4 ramps and generally no wait, and Singletary Park on 27 has 4 ramps as well. I use the Venetian Cove ramps every weekend since my wife prefers Harris over Griffin and we live less than 1/4 mile from Griffin. From Lake Harris you can run through the Dead River into Lake Eustis. Or if your really adventurous you can launch from the park, run across Lake Griffin and head down Haynes Creek through the locks and on into Lake Eustis and Lake Harris. Lots of options for ya.

TD good new about the $50 certificate!!! Just over a month away now and can't wait!!!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Hey thanks for the info.

That makes things a lot easier if I forget something.

nlain

Commander

I was just on the Griffin Park website, again, doing some checking and found this in the managers message,
Quote"Although we are not located directly on the shore of Lake Griffin, the park does have boat access to the lake through the Dead River. The lack of any recent significant rainfall has reduced boating access at our boat ramp. Currently boats up to 16' in length can be launched from our ramp. You may call the park directly for more timely information."Quote
Has anyone checked out the water there lately? Even if we have to put in at another location will we be able to get in to the docks with boats 18' and above? Just curious how things are there now.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

It's raining like a sonofagun now..Hopefully they get some too!

nlain

Commander

I have the weather map pulled up and they are not getting much, looks like most of it will be South over Orlando area, checked the past and all the have this month is a little over 1". They need some like we have had up here, the system before this one we got about 7" all total over about three days, flooded a lot of low lying areas, kids got a day out of school due to unsafe conditions for school buses, not sure yet what we got here yesterday but it was heavy.

cribber

Lieutenant

We did get some rain today and also some serious straight-line winds around lunchtime so we have downed trees in the area. I live about a 1/4 mile east of the park and I lost trees today because of the winds. I'll check with the park to see if the storms impacted access to Griffin. If I can get the yard cleaned up by the weekend I'll try to get to the park from Lake Griffin and note the depth readings along the way. The state did an extensive dredging program to open up the canals and waterways that feed Griffin last year. I've seen 20' plus toons with their biminis up going through that area.

fasassvalk

Seaman

I haven't visited this site in a while and was pleased to see a get together in my neck of the woods. I live in Leesburg just off Haynes Creek and will definitely be there. My hard top will not allow me to come by boat, but I will either drive there or camp in my TT. Let me know if there is anything I can do as a local.

Same here I live 15 minutes out, so if you need any local foot work let me know.
We plan on coming out.

tashasdaddy

30 days. i need info from those attending, if you have not sent me a PM, i need total head count. please PM me.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

and note the depth readings along the way. I've seen 20' plus toons with their biminis up going through that area.

I'm more worried about the ramp at the park :eek:

tashasdaddy

if it is a problem we will work it out, with caravans to the other public ramps. iboats over come bigger problems than this. heck, there are enough of us, we will just pick them up, and put them on the trailer.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

if it is a problem we will work it out, with caravans to the other public ramps. iboats over come bigger problems than this. heck, there are enough of us, we will just pick them up, and put them on the trailer.

Absolutely...a little low water isn't about to spoil MY weekend with all our fellow iboaters! Of course, the boat I will be bringing only weighs in around 1000#.....easy for me to say!! :p

It is what it is. Just looking forward to a few days away and some R&R time with momma, Lucy and the rest of the gang. Haven't camped in a few years and that is always a little exciting to say the least. I feel that no matter what the water level we are all going to have a great weekend and enjoy ourselves!

nlain

Commander

Water level won't spoil the weekend for me either, may cause a few difficulties but that is about it, course my boat is about 3000#, take a few more around it to pick up and set on trailer.:D

tashasdaddy

FIREWOOD, they do sell it at $5.00 per bundle, 15 to 18 sticks per bunble.

Presently there is a ban on campfires, until they get some rain.

so we may have to set the propane stove on the ground and pretend it is a fire.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you do this often? I live in Lake Mary and would like to join you all, however, in May I'll be going to California for a short vacation so I'll miss your May outing. Besides, I'm having a problem getting my 240 Searay Deckboat working and have it in the shop for the third time this month.
We are looking for some fun boaters to boat with.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

This is the first for me since I came on board about a year ago. It seems as tho they have been doing these for about 5-6 yrs. Some of the ol timers will chime in with a little more updated info about the get-togethers.

cribber

Lieutenant

1st for me as well since I joined the forum back in May last year and just happens to be in my backyard so to speak. I live just minutes from the Park and Lake Griffin.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This may not be the first Iboat gathering, But I think the 60 plus people turn out is one for the records!

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Even though i wont be making the trip for this get together i did have the chance to fish this lake on Easter Sunday. We put in at the park ramp and the only 2 things i didn't like was the steepness of the ramp and there is no lighting for evening pull outs. I have a 17ft bass boat and when launching the back deck of the boat was in the water. For me this isn't a big problem but for others it might be. The water level at the ramp was fine and the canal is deep enough to safely maneuver. We primary fished the canal for bass and did quite well with watermelon speed crawls with a fast retrieval. We also caught a few on a 6" bubble gum worm on a texas rig. We only went out into the lake for a short sight seeing trip (its a nice big lake) The water under the bridge was about 3ft deep if i remember right. We talked to several people bank fishing at the bridge for specks and they said they were doing quite well. I really liked the fishing in this lake between the ramp and the bridge. The biggest bass we caught weighed in at just over 6lbs most fish were in th 2lb range.
We didn't have time to drive through the camp sight so i cant comment on it. But what i could see of the picnic area it looked nice. Just a note i was told the stalls in the lady's room are small for a large person, i didn't go into the mens room so i cant comment on it. I know thats kind of petty but for some it might not be.

I hope everyone attending this get together has a fun and safe time. I look forward to returning to this lake on my next trip to Florida.

nlain

Commander

Was it 3' of water all the way out or just at the bridge? My boat shows a 36" draft drive down, 18" drive up with 3.0L, I have 4.3L, I should be able to trim up and very carefully idle out and in.