did i get ripped off?

vanshee

Cadet
I got an 84 glastron x-17 with a 140 mercruiser for $800 it has a bad motor the shop can instal a new one with a 2 year warrenty for 2700 it needs a new carpet the seats are covered in mildew but the top is perfect it came with 2 sets of skis 2 ski ropes a tube and an extra prop it has 10 lifevests a cd player . the finish is oxidized and looks chalky. Im already committed to fixing it up but i need to know if i got ripped off

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: did i get ripped off?

why not rebuild the motor, did it come w/ a trailer? i would say you got ripped off, but paid on the high side for a non running boat.

vanshee

Cadet

the moter broke a rod and yes it came with a rather nice trailor

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya know , you bought a hull with a bunch of extras for $800, maybe close but no I think you got a pretty good deal assuming you knew the engine was bad, if not lesson learned.

Just a prop can run $200-300, alot more if it is stainless, the seats should clean up pretty easy and a couple hours with a buffer and some rubbing compound and the hull will look like new.

I would however check the hull over really really well and make sure the stringers and transom are still intact, no sense spending anything on it till you know for sure the hull is solid.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did it come thru the block? have you thought about a short block? what are you getting for $2,700.
that is a lot of $ to put into a 24 year old boat. seriously doubt you will ever get that out of it.
also glastons of that vintage are known for rotted stringer, transom, and motor mounts.

vanshee

Cadet

did it come thru the block? have you thought about a short block? what are you getting for $2,700.
that is a lot of $ to put into a 24 year old boat. seriously doubt you will ever get that out of it.
also glastons of that vintage are known for rotted stringer, transom, and motor mounts.

The rod didnt go thru the block im guesin it broke at the crank caus he idled it back to the dock on3 he took the head off and pushed the piston down by hand the boat seems solid i was just lookin for a fun fish n ski boat for the family. im used to runnin my dads 62 starcraft 15 whith a 6.5 evinrude i need something bigger

vanshee

Cadet

im getting the new motor for the 2 year warranty

chiefalen

Captain

Why if all you need is a rod ? And whats happening to the old motor may i ask?

The mechanic is keeping it ??

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

The rod didnt go thru the block im guesin it broke at the crank caus he idled it back to the dock on3 he took the head off and pushed the piston down by hand the boat seems solid......

Those old Mercruisers are wicked good motors- I would look into a rebuild, and a new prop. If the engine isn't over-revved it will probably go another 20+ years.

I would make sure at least the transom was good before spending your money on the motor however.

I don't think you got ripped off, but I wouldn't want to pay any more than that for it.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I don't think you got ripped off but if you put $2700 into a new motor you might be heading that way.
This is a used (well used?) boat and I don't think I would invest in a brand new motor for a well used boat, not saying that its a bad boat or anything tho':D. I really like the glastron stuff myself.
Why not check around to see if someone has a quality, tested used 4 cyl. mercruiser engine available and try something like that. It will probably cost you less than half the $2700 and will likely last you as long as you intend to keep and run the boat (I'm guessing there). A warranty is nice thing, but sometimes dubious and not always useful or needed and make no mistake....you are paying for repairs...just earlier on and up front.
The money you save could be put into some other fixes on the boat that you might want to add.;)
Again, I would never put a brand new motor in a older used boat unless I purely loved that boat, or it was collectable or I was going to keep it for years and years and years....economically it just doesn't add up for me. There are a lot of good used motors out there, but you do have to invest some leg work and investigation.
Just my two bits.
Best of luck either way!
BP:)
:)

Nandy

Commander

I dont think I could say you got ripped off since the apparently you knew the motor was not running. I honestly think you did a poor buy. You could had gotten a better boat for the money you are looking to spend in a boat you dont know yet if you like the way it will run with your typical load. I think you will be better off if you could sell it for about what you paid for it and look a bit more. Get with us before you buy with specs and such. If you still want to keep it just fix the existing motor. Spending 2700 in a motor for a boat you dont know if it will do what you want is not the best thing to do.

Good luck in whatever you do...

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you going to be doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop? $2700 is a lot to spend on a boat of unknown condition,,, you could have more problems, outdrive, deck, stringers.

Check your PM's, I have something that might work...

vanshee

Cadet

Are you going to be doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop? $2700 is a lot to spend on a boat of unknown condition,,, you could have more problems, outdrive, deck, stringers.

Check your PM's, I have something that might work...

the price is the motor and install motor itself 1790