14 ft Starcraft Long Shaft v Short Shaft?

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
I am in the process of buying a 70's model 14 foot Starcraft for fishing. I am trying to decide weather this needs a short or long shaft motor. The first picture(labeled Starcraft Johnson) is the closest resemblence I could find on the internet. This appears to be a long shaft but it looks like the cavitation plate sits a couple of inches belowthe bottom of the boat.

The next two pictures are of the actual boat I am buying. The Honda motor in these pictures appears to be a short shaft? It was hard to get to the rear of the boat as I am in Michigan, it is in deep snow & pushed against a shed. I have looked on different websites and it seems the rule of thumb is 15-17 inch transom = short shaft while 20-22 inch tranasom = long shaft. They also say 1-2 inches one way or the other wont matter two much is that correct? I tried to get a tape measure on this & it appears that the transom measurement is about 18" (right in between)

I am buying boat motor & trailer for $600. The owner tells me that the Honda runs good and pushes this boat. He does say it will cavitate a little at high rpm's. Do they make cavitation plates for engines this small if so where do I find them. The price seems to be right at $600. Even if the Honda engine does not run correctly (hard to test in January in Michigan) I have a 1974 15HP Johnson short shaft that I could slap on it. But again this Johnson is also a short shaft. Is a 10- 15 hp engine adequate for this boat? Sorry for the long message, but I'm going to pull this out of the snow tomorrow, and want to have as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Attachments

• Starcraft Johnson.jpg
    Starcraft Johnson.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Honda 10hp on Starcraft.jpg
    Honda 10hp on Starcraft.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 14.jpg
    Starcraft 14.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft Starcraft Long Shaft v Short Shaft?

the boat seems to be short shaft i see the cut out on the transom. The 15 will push it fine as long as it's not loaded down with gear. 3 guys and tackle and you will be on plane in no time.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sure looks like a 15" Don't sweat it, if the Honda comes with it you can make it right.A 20" small motor is pretty obvious.By the way What you discussed is ventilation. Cavitation involves low pressure areas usually on the back side of the blades sort of etches the surface can be damaging in extreme conditions.You don't feel cavitation.Ventilation is when the prop loses its grip "ventilates"sort of air bound.Motor can ventilate for a number of reasons a bad or inapropreate prop being one.

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Steelespike. How can I check the prop? Also the pee hole is not shooting out a constant stream, more of a drip or mist. Previous owner claims impeller was changed last spring but can't produce reciept. I'm guessing that this should be a constant flow of water not a drip or trickle?

How big of job is impeller & water pump should I need it? Or what would I expect to pay a mechanic. At $600 I think the boat & trailer is worth this, but it would sure be a bonus if the engine was i good working order as well.
It stinks trying to buy a boat in Michigan in January, but is also when you can pick upsome deals. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great deal, jump on it! I have a 14ft 1966 starcraft that I had to cut the transom down on to fit my outboard. I love it. I have a deep V, but with my short shaft I can run in water 12" or less wide open.

Attachments

• dres picks2008 005.jpg
    dres picks2008 005.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

measure the transom, that tells the story, 15 inch transom is short shaft. measure from where the motor sits, to the keel.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Steelespike. How can I check the prop? Also the pee hole is not shooting out a constant stream, more of a drip or mist. Previous owner claims impeller was changed last spring but can't produce reciept. I'm guessing that this should be a constant flow of water not a drip or trickle?

How big of job is impeller & water pump should I need it? Or what would I expect to pay a mechanic. At $600 I think the boat & trailer is worth this, but it would sure be a bonus if the engine was i good working order as well.
It stinks trying to buy a boat in Michigan in January, but is also when you can pick upsome deals. Thanks in advance for the help.

Just eyeball the prop for dings.Should be numbers indicating size.
Sometimes the boat bottom will disturb the water enough to cause venting.
As little as 1/4 inch change in height or 1 notch trim adjustment.can reduce venting.
Can't help you on the impeller change except that they are usually straight forward on most motors.Work with a service manual.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

post your impeller question in the proper motor forum.