Question about 470

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruiser 470 from my 1980 Fiberform, engine series is 5520542..

So far i want make postive correction..
Ford 460 Big block V8 are same Piston, Crank, Rod, head on Mercruiser 470..

So Is Pistion Rings, Main Bearing and Rod Bearing are same Ford 460.. that i can Buy At Automotive Supplies store like Napa, Oriley, baxters, Schucks or autozone something...??

Thanks! for your times.

Chris

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Question about 470

I remember you, posted something about a 3.7, 170, 470, right cause they are all the 4 cylinder aluminum head engine correct?

You got the 470 right?

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

yes.. I have mercruiser 470.. it smokeing blue.. so i just want replacment Piston Rings.. and found some bearing look bads.. so I want replacement too..

no alum head.. Cast iron Ford head.. it have stamp Ford logo inside Head...

Piston, Rod, Crank are from Ford 460.. So i figure why not i order at auto supplies store get ford 460 parts they are same size (STD) stardard)..

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

pistons rods and head are ford, everything else is merc.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

I order Mecruiser Engine overhaul Gasket Kit..

but i just want make postive sure if i can buy some bearings for rod n main whole kits from Clevtte 77 from auto store.

they are same ford 460 as Rod, main, Piston n head.. u know ya..

I know mercruiser made Alum Block and rest parts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Buy from Mercrury.They still have all the parts you need.The crank is not from a 460 it's for a 4 cyl not a V-8.Jerry

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can always check but i believe the crank bearings are different from the 460. The rod bearing may be the same.

alex3012red

Seaman

I have the same engine, you can put 460 rings and rod bearing from any autoparts store.(a lot cheaper and the same) main bearing you can order thru your local napa autoparts, I don't have the part # but it was a clevite.
I purchased the complet gasket set with seal on e-bay for about 170. If you spun a rod bearing you can buy oversized too. Check your oil pump as I found out the wrong way when I didn't replace it the first time. Let me know how it turned out after you finished.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alex! ill go napa see Main Bearing for 470.. and maybe ill try to buy Rod bearing at napa too.. i get 25% off..

I have spare 470.. engine frozen and i got free from other guy give away.. and engine look great! Im think going rebuild 470 with racing parts like Edelbrock 460 Head alum, Cam blue print, Piston n rod from Eagles, etc..

alex3012red

Seaman

I'll try to get the part #'s for you, i will be helping a friend rebuilt his, I think he might need a crankshaft let me know if you have an extra one. Make sure you let the napa guy know it's a marine engine for the main bearings. one guy couldn't find them on their system. the rod bearings are easy (460,429)
Have fun, let me know how it turns out. Great motor.

alex3012red

Seaman

I know they make a turbo kit for that engine,(don't know the brand).I came across one on craigslist a couple of months ago. it was only 300 bucks but was not interested, i think it will lose the reliability.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

For real thanks Alex.. I might keep contract with you ya later.. lol..

I just almost done Build my 388Ci Stroker for my Drag 68 Nova.. i need get Edelbrock Victor SR intake, and Holley 1050cfm Carb then firing it up!

but im going focus on boat for now.. try finish before spring or my Race season.

Chris

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Okay I got Piston Rings.. and Will try Autozone or Napa or Schucks for Clevette 77 Bearing Rods from FOrd 460.. and Main bearing at Napa.. should i say Mercruiser 470 Main bearing? to Napa..

Im going pull motor out on Saturday.. and start rebuild bottom end and piston rings.. that all.., most all is brand new gaskets and everythings..

Bondo

Staff member

Im going pull motor out on Saturday.. and start rebuild bottom end and piston rings..

Ayuh,...

I've never heard of buying all the Parts,... Before it's torn down....

At this point,..
You're just Guessing whether it's Still factory tolerances,...
And,..
You have No Idea whether it Now needs machine work to bring it back to Spec.....

You've got the Cart ahead of the Horse.......:rolleyes:

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

I alrendy know before.. i help my Buddy Kile his used boat he rebuild.. He rookie mistake didnt lube up Piston rings and piston before installed.. Now it Smoke BLUES really bad... and BEaring is Grind sound bad.. i asked if he put lube on bearing before put on crank.. he say no.. he use white grease.. old school ugh.... that why i have spare 470 crank alrendy inspect and blanced by machine shop.. so im plan to pull out and do my way rebuild with alot Assmemblem Lube on bearings, dip piston in oil with new rings and install it.. it easy.

i rebuild alot chevy v8 whole my life and i race my 68 Nova with 800+ hp N/A

Ditto..

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

he spend alot on boat.. and he give up and sell me 1500$ everything with trailer..

Brand new fiberglass work, foam, Paint jobs, pretty alot new.. so im plan to add sound system, Cd player, Add rear bench seat.. I took Automotive Upholsery in college.. so im plan to build my own beach with Coolers under seat for beers and drill hole.. to let Water drain to Engine so Bilige Pump can drain out., :)

He end got 1989 Glastron Futrama 227 SE with 350ci V8 chevy.. but he swap to Brand new alpha 1 (rebuild with warranty) and 350ci Vortec (brand new with warranty)

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Ditto Rebuild DONE!!!

Tomorrow drop motor in and Firing it up!

I did measure and make sure all correct ratio size and perfect.. Rod is good.. Crank is bad.. so lucky i have spare 470 Crank and swap it.. and put new Bearings and Main bearings.. also Piston Rings new too.. Finally it all done..

Only 2 things major is bad... Piston ring is Toasted.. look old.. it smoking Blue.. Replace new rings (done)
cycle 4# bad rod bearing and Crank spun Rod.. and Swap other spare 470 crank in and new set rod bearing plus Main Bearing.. Done
Boats004-1.jpg

Boats005.jpg

Boats006.jpg

Boats001-1.jpg