Lake Mead boat/camp??

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lake Mead boat/camp??

what kinda boat u got now,QC? im from OC, my dad lives in Placentia and makes the trip out here a few times every summer with his Maxum. I always liked Chino Hills...

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did not get the oppertunity this weekend to go out unfortunately!

LOL yeah unfortunately my baot is not quite finshed @ the shop, but very close. Long story short I will be at the lake this coming weekend.

I will advise current conditions when I return.

:cool:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

soo...compared to last year, does anyone know if the water level is down anymore? i havent really checked into it, but i know the echo bay marina is gettin further and further away lol...

QC

Supreme Mariner

what kinda boat u got now,QC? im from OC, my dad lives in Placentia and makes the trip out here a few times every summer with his Maxum. I always liked Chino Hills...

Yeah it's a great town. I grew up in Placentia/Fullerton. We have a 23' Carrera that we use for the riv and lakes. Small, but in my avatar . . .

The lake is about eight ft. down since this time last year. 1114 vs. 1106. All data here.

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys have fun on the Lake? We were out Saturday all day. GREAT conditions, a bit of wind, but not bad... I wish the weather would stay like this all year... will be HOT soon.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

hi guys; wife came down and spent the last 6 days on the lake. we gave up our silp and dry storage on the 30th. water temp was around 65+ by our fish finder when we started and got up to 75 in the little cove up by temple bar by the time we left. we got in the water 3 or 4 times a day and had a nice camping trip. we verifided english bull dogs cant swim and in fact can bearly tread water with their nose and mouth just out of the water.
just got back yesterday so first post back.
no coumputer at lake for me for last month so you got a break there.
last day out coming back, broke down and had to get a tow back to temple bar. a freind picked up our trailer and came over to temple and picked us and the boat up.
when we got to the check stop before you can cross hover dam, we saw a bulge on the front left tire. we told the gaurd, and asked where we could park and check it out. they dont like to do that as we found out. but did let us and found a spot we could use. when we move the tire poped with a loud bang.
there are 3 or 4 lanes with 2 guards per lane. when the tire poped all heads turned our way and or ducked. one fellow even had his hand on his holster but all realised what had happened pretty quick so it was funny in the end. i had the key for my spare tire lock on my truck so we ahd no way to get it off the trailer. by then the gaurds had warmed up to us and were nice. one of them cut the lock off for me with thier bolt cutters.
while i was down there we had a bad wind one night and it blew part of the dock over at lasvegas marina apart twisting the dock up and blowing a some boats together doing a lot of damage. didnt see the dock but did see some of the banged up boats. glad it didnt happen to us. then an after noon or so later they had a larger power boat, not sure the size 28' to 30' or something, burn to the water line. i saw the smoke come up as i was pulling into the parking lot at lake mead marina and by the time i walked to my slip the smoke was gone. man they burn up fast. i heard later about all they could do was save the boats around it.
the lake is droping steady now and is lower than it has been for awhile so the zebra mussles are above the water line. in the 90 to 100 temps they are rotting. not a plesant smell.
echo bay was closed for a week moving to get in to deeper water and the nice ramps at boulder beach,hemmin way, and temple bar are all closed so you have to use what is left of the old paved rampes but they are hard to see and find. we were able to load at temple with out to much trouble and the fellows there are happy you help you if you need it. thankyou john if you read this. temple had steel landing mats laying by the their ramp that looked like they were going to try.
callvill bay ramp is still ok,i think. i hit a gravel bar and dinged my prop going into the fuel dock there other day, thats going to get worse as the lake drops.

well thats our trip in a nut shell. the lower elevation and warm weather were good for me.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

the lake is droping steady now and is lower than it has been for awhile so the zebra mussles are above the water line. in the 90 to 100 temps they are rotting. not a plesant smell.
echo bay was closed for a week moving to get in to deeper water and the nice ramps at boulder beach,hemmin way, and temple bar are all closed so you have to use what is left of the old paved rampes but they are hard to see and find. we were able to load at temple with out to much trouble and the fellows there are happy you help you if you need it. thankyou john if you read this.

did u go to echo bay? im curious, thats where i always go and im headed there on the 23rd of this month. was gonna launch saturday and sunday. Is it going to be all done and accessible? this is the first i had heard of them moving the marina there. guess it was time to again, though.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

no red; we were headed that way and when we got fuel at callvill they told us echo was closed due to low water. we call echo on the cell, and they did say they would be closed for about 5 days. this would have been most of the week we were on the lake so we stayed up in the temple end. just for referance you cant get above iceberg canyon up there.
i started to launch at echo back in november and the ramp was quite flat and shallow. this put me to far out form shore(i'm partly disabled and single hand launch) so i pulled out and ened up at boulder beach ramp. this worked better for me at this time.
echo should be open again by now but it wouldnt hurt to call and be sure before you drive out there. if you have launched there before and been allright you shouldnt be in for any big surprises.
there is still plenty of water in the lake once you get out there but all the suport facilities dont seem to have been to accomadate the lake at these elevations and are having to scramble to make things work.

best of luck and hope it isnt to hot for you to have a good time

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no red; we were headed that way and when we got fuel at callvill they told us echo was closed due to low water. we call echo on the cell, and they did say they would be closed for about 5 days. this would have been most of the week we were on the lake so we stayed up in the temple end. just for referance you cant get above iceberg canyon up there.
i started to launch at echo back in november and the ramp was quite flat and shallow. this put me to far out form shore(i'm partly disabled and single hand launch) so i pulled out and ened up at boulder beach ramp. this worked better for me at this time.
echo should be open again by now but it wouldnt hurt to call and be sure before you drive out there. if you have launched there before and been allright you shouldnt be in for any big surprises.
there is still plenty of water in the lake once you get out there but all the suport facilities dont seem to have been to accomadate the lake at these elevations and are having to scramble to make things work.

best of luck and hope it isnt to hot for you to have a good time

I was there on Friday the 8th, and water levels extremely low, went up to echo after fishing through the narrows really low there, I launch from Las Vegas boat harbor right near boulder beach as-well. Not sure if hemmenway is open or not last I thought it was closed. Ill be headed back out for a 4 day run on Tue or Wed, so Ill have updates as I return.

Til' then be safe and be careful lots of new unmarked threats low water everywhere!!!

:cool:

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

ya mead;we shadowed other boats going up lake when ever we could and through the narrows. not knowing the lake that well to start with i hoped they would hit anything first or know the lake better than me and know where not to go

QC

Supreme Mariner

The water is 300 ft. deep in the Narrows guys . . . ;) Cloudy days are a problem, but I can see color at 25 ft. when the sun is out. Gets a little tougher towards Iceberg as the water is not as clear. I am not saying to take anything casually, and of course there are always "new" obstacles when the lake drops, but there are not "more" obstacles, just different ones.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

im headin out to echo bay for memorial day...not a good choice i know, but its the only time that family could make it into town. I just called them and they said the launch ramp is good to go, and they are all done moving the marina. its kinda cool when the same spot looks different each damn time you go i guess lol.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

good luck. think once you get on the lake your good to go. are you staying in the overton arm once you get going?
we'll be working on our drive for memorial day.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

good luck. think once you get on the lake your good to go. are you staying in the overton arm once you get going?
we'll be working on our drive for memorial day.

ya we always stay up there.....anywhere north of the marina, we rarely go south. should be fun, ive been going there for 17 years so pretty much know what spots to stay away from. i like it that way i guess lol.

QC

Supreme Mariner

We usually do Memorial Day at Mead, but we're going to be even more stupid and do Parker this year. Frankly, it's the cheapest trip for us. I burn waaaay too much fuel at Mead and you guys all know why :D

The thing that some people may not understand about a lake the size of Mead is that once you are away from the Marina, safety is not a huge issue due to crowds. There is just sooooo much room. I find this is even more true than Powell as the channels there funnel everybody.

The exception is that you can get lulled to sleep on a long cruise and encounter crossing traffic that you might not see. I've never come close, but it's odd when a boat appears out of nowhere :eek: But of course this may be even more likely when it is exceptionally quiet. I remember sitting at Mushroom Reef once on a Houseboat trip and saying, "hey, check it out, there goes a boat" after not seeing one for hours . . . :cool:

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey QC how you doing?? I'm going to Mead May 28 through the 31st. I'm going to stay at the Hacienda just like you recommended. I've never been to Parker but heard alot about it. I always seem to end up at Havasu. Can you give me some more info on Parker as I'd like to check out other lakes rather then just Havasu. Like where to stay/launch or swim? Any info would be much appreciated like always. Is it similar to the other Colorado Lakes? As you can tell I'm very curious and willing to check out new spots.

Thanks again.....:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Parker is different than any of the other spots. Technically it is called Lake Moovalya . . . but it is river, with current all of the way from Parker Dam (forms Havasu) to the diversion dam (Moovalya) at the bottom. I think it is 16 miles long, but never more than a couple of hundred yards wide. Generally pretty safe to navigate, but there are no channel markers and there are some shallow spots. Especially at the north end and definitely low water from 10:00 PM to 10:00 AM almost every day. Thursdays are the lowest water levels. The water level doesn't really change at all at the south end.

There are quite a few places to stay and camp. We usually got to the Bluewater as it is the easiest with a very nice marina.

Can not beat Parker for watersports. Glasses off when the Lakes can be really rough. The combination of current and narrow means wakes dissapear very quickly. And there is very little for the wind to work on.

Parker can also be very dangerous though due to traffic. Lots of boats, narrow river, shallows and knuckleheads is a bad combination. But if you want to experience the river as opposed to lakes, and you like services and floating bars and restaurants and playing in the current, then it is awesome. Very good midweek!! Lots of new stuff to learn though . . . ;)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

well, just got back from 2 days at Echo Bay. Has changed, but not that much from last year. crazy, crazy times at the launch ramp, but fine other than that. Awesome weather, a little windy later on today, but thats expected in the afternoon. Did some tubing, swimming, and just plain ol cruisin around. Does anyone know, approx. how long of a boat ride at average cruising speed it is from echo bay to Calville? we were cruising around cathedral cove today and i was wondering how much further calville would have been.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

great that you had a nice trip.
callvill,narrows, then across the virgin basin must be a half hour. we cruise at 30 gps mph. to be honest when were crusing on the lake we dont even have a clock.
enjoy being out there so much that no matter how long we spend, we always wish we had more time out there.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i dont usually pay attention to the time either...just kinda watch the sun then check the ol cell phone for the time once in a while so we dont miss dinner or somethin lol. i have a land gps, i was gonna try and see if it would log my speed on the water, i have no idea how fast my boat cruises, i estimate around 30 or so which is plenty for what we do.

which narrows are you talking about?