1978 Glastron

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for this site. I never thought of checking my floor until I read about it. Now I found that I do have some rot. I posted pics, but do not know If I did the cprrect thinh to post them.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 Glastron

Welcome to iboats
Guess you didn't post pix correctly, they're not up

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi and welcome !!! did you uplaod them to photo bucket ? then click the IMG to paste it here ??
I have a 1976 glastron sportster !!! Ok cant wait to see her !! John

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Down in the "Tech, Non Boating" forum is a sticky that explains photo posting...

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the pictures: I am trying to see if they are ok and then I'll explain in my later post

4.jpg

1.jpg

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Corrected problem through editting.

4.jpg

1.jpg

This is the only hole in the entire boat, and I have torn away all the soft spots arround this hole. Black spots are the remnants of the carpet. The carpet had a ruberized backing. It tooh some forceto peal it off.
One of the pictures show the cracks in the floor at other places. Of course it is completely dry. My question is: do I seal this before carpetting.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally I got it. Here is the rotted part...on the rear starboard side of the boat.

4.jpg

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have http:// twice in your link. Take the first one out and the pix should show up just fine.

-BWR
The first one has been complete withthe pictures. I do not know how to delete te last ones.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now here are the details. This is the only hole in the floor. The area arround it is very solid, but as you can see in the picture there are some cracks on the floor. The floor is completely dry, but I need to protect it before I put it in the water. My question is : Can I seal the cracks, what material should I use before recarpeting? :confused:

1.jpg

redfury

Commander

If you are looking to just strengthen the deck, then you'll want to cut out what you find that is rotten and replace it with new wood, and then fiberglass over it for strength. I'm surprised that you didn't find a layer of fiberglass under the carpet...perhaps Glastron was just tabbing the edges of the wood to the boat by 78? My 75 had a layer of glass over the whole deck IIRC, with a layer of vinyl over that.

I'm betting that if you wanted to dig further into this boat, you'd find the wood that makes up the stringers to be rotted also.

You have 2 choices. Take the boat down for a season and restore/rebuild the deck, stringers and potentially the transom, or patch in the floor and keep going the way it is.

I'd almost guarantee though, that there is water logged foam logs under the deck ( original flotation foam ) that are weighing the boat down. If you pop the deck, get rid of those things ASAP, they aren't doing you any good full of water.

If you want to see what I mean by taking the boat down for a season, you can check my glastron pages below to see what you might be looking at under that deck.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will do some more checking, but I have ripped all the carpet off and was about to re carpet when I fell on this site. There were no soft spots except for the one shown. In the storage position the front of the boat was elevated far above normal. Forgot to mention. THis boat has been out of the water for more than 16 years and has been covered. Las Vegas has very little rain. Overall I will follow your advice and get a knowledgeable person to check it out.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv44/wallybme47/IMG_0935.jpg