Fiberglass making a crunching sound

Lamarg33

Cadet
Hey,

I have an old 14? fiberglass boat. In some areas of the hull, if I apply a little bit of pressure, the fiberglass makes a crunching sound. There aren?t any cracks in these areas. So I was wondering if it is something that I need to be concerned about. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass making a crunching sound

Not a fiberglass expert but it doesn't sound good to me.Some sort of delamination or deterioration of the underlying structure.
What areas?Is the floor soft anywhere?I would try to establish the extent and location of the spots.

Lamarg33

Cadet

The sound comes from a 12 x 12 area at the bow just above the waterline. I was washing it when I applied a bit of pressure and heard the noise. Is it possible to beef up that area? Or does the area need to be cut out and replaced?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is probably time for some maintenance, probably the complete deck and stringers,

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

Wellllll before you go ripping your boat appart, thier might be an easyer solution. depending on how much this area bothers you and how much work you wanna do you do have another option.....If this area is the "floor" of the boat it sounds to me as if the wood core under your glass is rotting and thus when you step on it you are flexing the fiberglass and getting the "cracking sound"...Currently what i have been doing on my project is drilling a 1/4 size hole in the areas that delaminated from the wood core and then i come back with a turky baster and epoxy resin. Useing the turkey baster I shoot the epoxy into the hole which goes between the layer of glass that is "soft" and the wood core filling the void and tacking the wood core and fiberglass together........this same procedure would work for you as well.....only down side is now you have a small 1/4 hole in the floor....for me this is no big deal cuz i am repainting everything......i dont know if that is an option for you or not....but it would still be easyer than replaceing the floor! let me know what you think.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

STOP CHEWING IT

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the crunching sound is only the glass or foam.

take the boat out....and everything out of it......then weigh it.....i bet your waterlogged.

but....as td said.......i think its gonna be stringer time

Lamarg33

Cadet

:D

STOP CHEWING IT

I guess I'll have to find another source of fiber.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciated.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

From your description, it sounds like you are talking about the side of the boat, not the floor - is this correct?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

It sound like the filler material behind the Gelcoat is crushed due to some impact. what make and year is this boat? can you see on the inside of the hull at this location?

Lamarg33

Cadet

I apologize for not being clearer. It?s a ?79 Sears Game and Fisher tri-hull. And yes, I applied the pressure to the out side of the hull.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Is this one of the funny looking green boats? If so don't waste and time or money on it, some are a thin fiberglass shell fill with foam, others don't have any foam, but they fall apart and there's no saving them. If it's a different type it may be worth working on, post a pic if you can.

Lamarg33

Cadet

This is the only pic that I have.
123.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there were several types of glass boats like that.

i was in a few newer ones thet "crunched"

the hull is only worth a couple hunderd bucks......an older tinny would be around the same money.

if you are just using it as a fishing platform on calm waters with a small (9.9) motor....ok.....but any other demands from the boat and you might be better off with a different one.

cheers
oops