Partial transom repair?

steeldust

Recruit
I was given a 17.5 ft. runabout inboard. The lower 1/4rd of the transom is rotting. Is it a bad idea to cut out the rot + about 4 inches of good wood around the rotted area and replace, as opposed to replacing the whole transom?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Partial transom repair?

welcome to iboats!! That 4" may be the tip of the iceberg :( It is smarter to do the entire transom so it is one solid piece or you will have a weak pint where the wood is joined.

Check out the entire bost. There may be rot below the deck. Have you established why the lower 1/4 got wet and rotted? Was the wood exposed or was there always water in the boat.

steeldust

Recruit
Re: Partial transom repair?

Thanks for the welcome!. Yea, I did some preliminary poking around with a screwdriver and found the stringers are completely rotted from the transom forward about 4 ft., as is the decking. An interesting thing about this boat is the Volvo engine doesn't have any motor mounts, so as far as I can tell its just the transom holding it up with the outdrive.

I would like to avoid replacing the entire length of the stringers if they turn out to be sound further forward than I found rot. I am thinking of build ing a bulkhead at the engine so I can install mounts.

I am completely green to boats; only took the boat on as a challenge, although it sounds like it will be fun to use once fixed. My assistants (relatives) who do alot of sailing, suggested just doing partial repair, but that doesn't sound that solid to me, so I came here looking for advice.