Painted my boat today~

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painted my boat today~

I work at Blows. I mean lowes. And Any lowes can special order it for you. I guarintee you that it will be way cheaper than getting anywhere else. I looked it up one day whyle i was at work and lowes is not getting verry much margin on it. To be honest with you though i dont remember what the prices were. If you want to know let me know a item number and i can find out a price for you. Or you can go to any lowes and find out. At my lowes the rustolium Special order book is not in the paint department it is by the wallpaper and blinds. Not sure why but there is a sos kiosk there and thats where you will find the rustolium books for SOS.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lowes it was indeed. Thanks for the encourage ment I am trucking onward. Thanks for that tip on the vinyl too, I did buy some tonight thugh and found an even better deal. Went to Hancock fabrics and got 3 yards for $6.00 as it was off the roll and already cut . I got the snow white and it looks awesome. i lucked out here. If you know anyone in need they have alot of cut lengths of an assortment of dark colors ,all in the three to 5 yard range. No red though, sorry jcsercsa. I was gonna go with the royal but am doing royal carpet and I think the whiteseat will really make the blue POP . Turns out if you order Rustoleum online they have several different colors that they don't stock in some stores. You have to really look around but for the widest selection can't beat the net .

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's looking great...keep us posted and keep updating pics. I am a newbie to iboats and I love all the info. I am in the process of restoring a 1983 Skeeter Starfire 115 as soon as it warms up here in KS and I will definitely use Rustoleum when I paint her...sounds like that is the easiest and cheapest paint to use for great results. Once again, she's looking very good buddy!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey 78,

How many quarts of Rustoleum did it take to paint your boat?

Thanks -
York

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yes, and by asking where to buy rustoleum, I mean, wow your boat looks awesome, I'm hope to get the same results using rustoleum on mine!

Thanks for the joann dot com trick for the vinyl, they have 2.95 shipping on your first order for new users too, looks like I'm putting mom to work on recovering that old bimini!

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the compliments I am really pleased with this whole project so far.
I used 1 quart and about 1/5 of another just for touching up (just for the blue though). The rest I am gonna use on my trailer which I will paint as soon as we get the old wood boat I just got off it and on another. I am thinking about Putting some of those bluebird chrome bus emblems on the sides where the originals were. I found some original Arrow Glass emblems on ebay right after I got the boat and didn't get them because I thought they'd be easy to come by . Turns out they are not that easy to come by an dI have yet to see any more for sale. It kinda makes me think bluebird when I see it though so I dunno I might go that route depends on just how the mood strikes me . She is coming together though! IT'S ALIVE !!!!!! ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe the blue beast is a better name!

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

wow. only one quart? with the roll and tip method, i would have thought a gallon.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Check ebay, theres a lot of guys that do vinyl graphics. I've got an old crestliner, my original logos are plastic but theres a guy who had them up there made of vinyl. A lot of sellers have more than whats listed in auctions, just ask.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finished upholstering the seats today. They turned out very nice! I was amazed at how good they looked. I also decided I was gonna do something about the unsightly crack in my windshield and came up with a dang good idea.
This took much longer than you would imagine. Like 2 hours ! :eek: For one cordless dremel tools suck. The battery lasts maybe 10 minutes tops. Then it doesn't cut worth a crap. I ended up after marking and measuring my line drilling like a hundred small holes and connecting them with the drill bit afterwards. Then after I use a R/O sander and some 120 grit to even off everything . I still have to round off the corners but I like how it is gonna look. Makes it look very sporty. I may decide later to add a full windshield but in the mean time I think I am liking this . Makes the whole deck seem to kinda extend farther,plus I like the wind in my face! Whatcha think? I am in the process of finding some new rubber mounting trim for the bottom of the plexi. I was told most car windshield repair places have this you can get by the foot. The old stuff is just that, old. I could spray it but the new rubber would really look great and I am sure it has gotta be cheap.

Attachments

• walkthrough 2020.JPG
    walkthrough 2020.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • cracked 2020.JPG
    cracked 2020.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dremel.JPG
    dremel.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is ...never mind the tape ,it's just there to guard against a slip of the wrist. You can get the idea though, I think it looks sweet!

Attachments

• sheared off.JPG
    sheared off.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • shorty 2020.JPG
    shorty 2020.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next is to install the carpet and two small panels behind the bench which I am gonna wrap with the snow white vinyl and mount some marine speakers in so I can jam ! This will fill the gap between the rail and the floor carpet if you look in the other photos I think you can see what I mean.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post some pics once you get the vinyl finished. I can't wait to see your finished product.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am getting ready to use the Rustoleum Marine Paint on my bassboat this week and how the paint is holding up for you and have you waxed your boat since or even had it in the water?

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'd been thinking i'd do white w/ blue accents (evinrude) but i really l like that blue!
i couldn't understand why you'd redo the seats until i saw the product - nice. i do have a tip though, that i picked up from a seamstress when she reupholstered my camper cushions. she added fiber batting (the rolled stuff, not the loose pillow stuffing) to the original cushions before inserting into the covers (they zipper on one end). the extra layer puffed the vinyl up enough to give a very even and taught look.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK well here was the finished project in the water ! Ran smooth ~ Very pleased with all my hard work on this project. Can you believe the before and after? Thanks to all who chimed in .

Attachments

• ugly before1.JPG
    ugly before1.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • nice 1 2020.JPG
    nice 1 2020.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • arrowglass2020.JPG
    arrowglass2020.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 0

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice job! I especially like the way the windshield turned out. The paint looks great, and you should definitely be proud of the way the whole project turned out.

Well done!

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Congratulations on a fine looking craft! The paint turned out very nice and the windshield is a huge improvement.
Cheers,
Kyle