Boat covering and Tarp frame help!!

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy New Year all!!! Need some help/suggestions.

We had some rain then cold temps and some snow up here in Long Island NY. My first boat, a ft Sea Ray bow rider has a semi custom cover on it and no matter how much I tighten it and how many poles I set up inside to increase the slope of the cover I am getting pools of water and ice that form in pockets. Also when it snows, the angle of the cover is not steep enough so the snow just sits there. It slowly melts penetrating the cover and increasing the moisture inside the boat and will probably tear the cover if the weight gets too much.

My thought is to put a second plastic tarp over the boat with high angles to let the snow slide off. I was thinking of a simple "U" frame made of PVC piping running down the middle of the boat with the tarp over it to form a tent type of shape. Perhaps some cinder blocks to weight the uprights (I have a few laying around) and maybe 2 in. PVC. The distance to span would be 25 ft. long 9 ft width and 8 ft tall.

So what does everyone think? Is 2in PVC strong enough? Will the wind simply knock it over? Should I leave the ends open or closed up? It would either allow for air to circulate but may let the wind in knocking it over?
Any others, SIMPLE suggestions? ( Do not have a GARAGE to putthe boat in!!!!:()

Thanks Ike

Attachments

• IMG_3255 small.JPG
    IMG_3255 small.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 0

q5ka

Seaman
Re: Boat covering and Tarp frame help!!

I had the same issue with my runabout with snow. What I did was while walking through biglots (discount store with closeout stuff and discontinued stuff) picked up a 20 foot tarp enclosure with sides for about $250 and have not had a problem for over 3 years. Then in spring I take the enclosure down and just use the cover. The enclosure is a very cheap one and next year or so I will have to replace the top but much cheaper than moisure issues I had with interior of boat.

Dan

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get your bow higher if you can.

Make sure your plugs are pulled for drainage.

PVC pipes running from your winshield to the bow and windshiled to the stern covered with cheap blue tarps will help alot.

Here is a photo of my bass boat that I would double tarp every year and re-use the pvc ...... I used the seat pedestal post holes for extra support and it always held up to severe snow. I used the same design when I had a 23' cuddy.

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do very similar, but not as heavy, since no snow.

a70eliminator

Captain

If you have a ski tube inflate that and put it in the bow area, I did a quicky one year and slid a sheet of plywood under the cover across the gunwhales but that was an emergency fix after snow had already collapsed my hoops.
Those freeze and thaughs can be damaging when a little water freezes up half your drain then another freeze thaugh cycle and now your drain is completely frozen up and then you find 6" of solid ice in your boat.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all Thanks for the replies!!!
Dan, I actually have an enclosure I bought for use in the better weather. I am not sure it would withstand a heavy snow load. We do not get them often, but do and I am away sometimes so I would not be able to clean it of a I am afraid of a collapse. I should have bought a heavier version.

Bob and Tashadaddy, pluga and drains out , boat is draining well. How do you temporarily attach the PVC to the windshield frame? I have tried to use center poles with no success, obviously. Do you think that will get me enough center height to create enough angle to let the snow slide off? I thought I would need to go higher above the the windshield to get the angle need. Thanks again Ike

tashasdaddy

this is my pontoon, but idea works.
tooncover001-1.jpg

i used there uprights with pvc fittings on each end.

tooncover003-1.jpg

the base of upright

tooncover002-1.jpg

pontoonframe001.jpg

the boat is 20'x8 ' i used a 24x12 tarp.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tashasdaddy, Thanks for the quick response. That frame design is very interesting especially the support feet design. I am going to remove my center polls and make up a similar frame to avoid some of the pooling of the water on the existing cover. Thank you!!

I was hoping to try to add a second cover go over the existing cover with much steeper side angles with a second tarp, without using the boat itself to support it. The existing covers width is maxed out so I wont be able to increase/raise the side angles much. Snow is my biggest concern. As stated we rarely get heavy snow here anymore, but we could get one or two 20+ inch storms. I am concerned that without steep side angles that will force the snow to slide off on its own the snow may collapse the covers.

If I beefed up the PVC to 2 or 3in do you think that a span of 25ft could be realistic without center supports?

Thanks Ike

By the way, assuming that is Tasha up there she has a great face!! Your pic was my inspiration for Nicholas's pic!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My PVC tarp supports are the inverted T just like TD's (hey TD, did you copy me? :D). Make the frame high so snow/ice buildup slides off. About 3 - 4 ft higher than the gunnels works well in NJ/NY with the wet snow and rain on top of snow we get around here. The higher the better, and the less strain on the tarp because no load builds up on it. I've never had an issue with the wind blowing a tarp around or the PVC over once the bungies are attached. Don't go more than about 5 or 6ft horizontal with the PVC, as it will sag.

For tarps, the lowest price for the heaviest grade is at harborfreight.com Get the silver 11mil tarp. Its nice to get one that will hang down over the gunnels about 2 ft on each side, as it will help keep the sun from fading the gel coat, etc.

HF also has tarp clips real cheap that work well. They let you put a bungie where you want without making holes in the tarp.

A good side benefit of a high pvc frame is its easy to move around inside the boat and inspect for leaks or animal damage during a thaw or if you just want to check something out. Just undo the end of the tarp and climb in.

Good luck!

tashasdaddy

yes that is Tasha, no PVC will not span that length. i used 1 1/2 for the toon.

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a wood frame with a double tarp setup. This years tarp is from Menards. Thinner than the blue HD's, but sliprier? and better water repel. I've used wood because not sure how brittle the PVC is in the cold. And i have lots of wood around! 2x4 vertical at bow stop and stern. 2x2 bolted together runs length over windshield. 1x2 hooked to 2x2 go port and starbord every few feet. This year I pounded those green metal fence posts in ground and hooked the ends of 1 x2's to them. So I've got lots of air between the tarps when no snow. Some tarp to tarp contact with heavy snow. Spend a couple minutes brushing tarp off when doing shoveling chores

tashasdaddy

Mark, i did not copy you been doing that for years. it is just that both of us are brilliant.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hello all Thanks for the replies!!!
Dan, I actually have an enclosure I bought for use in the better weather. I am not sure it would withstand a heavy snow load. We do not get them often, but do and I am away sometimes so I would not be able to clean it of a I am afraid of a collapse. I should have bought a heavier version.

Bob and Tashadaddy, pluga and drains out , boat is draining well. How do you temporarily attach the PVC to the windshield frame? I have tried to use center poles with no success, obviously. Do you think that will get me enough center height to create enough angle to let the snow slide off? I thought I would need to go higher above the the windshield to get the angle need. Thanks again Ike

Go to the hardware store and purchase a sawhorse bracket. Make a saw horse with legs to the height you want and have it grip and hold a piece of 2" PVC. Once it is tarped it will not move and there is no windshield stress.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all, Thanks of all the great ideas. I may try to keep it simple. If I can easily bolt wood 2x4 uprights to the trailer frame forward and to the rear, I may just tie a rope between the two uprights and have it support the second tarp. It will give me nice steep angles to shed water and most importantly the snow. If that does not work I will go with one of the suggestions above. Thanks again all Ike

chiefalen

Captain

Maybe you all gonna laugh but it works for me.

I took a old cement base with a pipe sticking out of it for a outdoor umbrella, and slid a 8 foot plastick pipe over it, drilled a hole thru the 2 pieces of pipe, the one i slid over the one already in the base, and stuck a bolt thru with a nut on it.

So now they are joined i took a cap i had laying around and stuck it on the top end of the pipe and taped some carpet to the top cap.

I just put it in the center of the boat and angle it and slide the tarp over and stand the pipe and base straight up. And tie down all around the gromets tight.

Now i have a very steep teepee.

Snow don't stick and rain and everything just slides right off.

Works for me, saw a old guy do that 30 years ago upstate ny and i have been doing it with all my boats.

tashasdaddy

does it have a opening in the center of the top to let the smoke out?

chiefalen

Captain

Nope. But when i have the boat in the driveway i can just unhook the back tie downs and just tie the back of the tarp to the door handle of the one garage door and work under there if it's raining.

Works for me, and it was the right price didn't cost me a nickle except for the tarp.

Tarp last longer also, cause nothing is laying on it and soaking thru.

Maybe i'll take a pic with the cell phone and post it.

chiefalen

Captain

Here it is i think.

Attachments

• 352828132_1213172709_0.jpeg
    352828132_1213172709_0.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Helo Chief, Definitely will work. Nice and steep. But I would love to keep the semicustom cover on the boat as well as a second tarp. I do not want to put a hole in the existing cover, so I must go over the boat and cover without really contacting it. Ike