New paint = more speed??

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Just painted the boat and was hoping that the fresh clear would give me maybe 2-3 more mph, sound feasible?

The old paint wasn't really to bad(except for the color) but it certainly wasn't slick like the new clear is.

Old paint ran 27-30 gps consistently.

So what do we think, wishful thinking or possible?

Unfortunately it will be about 2 more months till I can get it out and see for myself, ice is kinda hard on the prop ya know.

If you get bored and need something to read here is the thread, it even involves a murder, well a murder trial anyhow.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286649

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: New paint = more speed??

sorry but wishfull thinking, unless the old paint was ruff as a cobb. new paint will not increase speed to any noticeable degree. even a great coat of wax cannot do that.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with mphy98. On a powerboat it will not be noticeable to any great extent. However some of our blowboat friends are fanatical about their botom paint and its condition. We're talking waxing and the whole nine yards, but a knot or two could make or break a race.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with mphy98. On a powerboat it will not be noticeable to any great extent. However some of our blowboat friends are fanatical about their botom paint and its condition. We're talking waxing and the whole nine yards, but a knot or two could make or break a race.

You're right about us "sailors", but the increase in speed is measured in tenths of a knot... not knots....

But a tenth of a knot quicker has won many a sailboat race.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i dont think you'll notice it, but im sure it will help. just not enough to notice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, the added weight will probably reduce your top speed by an unmeasurable amount.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the added weight will probably reduce your top speed by an unmeasurable amount.
Maybe offset by the calories lost in sanding and painting it . . . that's of course if you keep them off while waiting for the ice to thaw . . .

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Oh well, I've had other ideas that didn't pan out either, at least it isn't that horrible baby poop yellow any more.

Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral

Sounds like you bubble is slowly being deflated anyway so I might as well pop it completely!

There is a chance that it will actually be a bit slower, race boaters actually sand the bottoms of there boats to increase speed. Something to do with breaking the surface tension of the water and the hull.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i cant imagine it would slow you down but the main problem is the water itself.

if you had a perfectly smooth body of water, i bet you could tell a difference. but obviusly this isnt a perfect world. if you want to see more speed, decrease weight and anything with rotational mass...given, there really isnt much you can do there except maybe propellers.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you bubble is slowly being deflated anyway so I might as well pop it completely!

There is a chance that it will actually be a bit slower, race boaters actually sand the bottoms of there boats to increase speed. Something to do with breaking the surface tension of the water and the hull.

Yeah smooth is actually supposed to be slower.

But then maybe if it was real bad before it will help.

QC

Supreme Mariner

i cant imagine it would slow you down but the main problem is the water itself.

if you had a perfectly smooth body of water, i bet you could tell a difference. but obviusly this isnt a perfect world. if you want to see more speed, decrease weight and anything with rotational mass...given, there really isnt much you can do there except maybe propellers.
Funny, but some of these things are counter intuitive. Like the bottom, a slight ripple on the water is usually faster. Also, I agree on rotational mass with the exception of the propeller . . . If that were true then Aluminums would be faster . . . Props are way more about hydrodynamics than mass . . .